Friday 27 April 2007

What Does 'Gay' Mean to You?


I've come to the conclusion that the term 'gay' is an evolving one.
Forty years ago a 'gay old time' had nothing to do with same sex
attraction. My aunt in England married a Mr. Gay in the early 60's. I
remember her saying that when she first heard the term 'gay' refer to
sexuality in the early 70s that she thought it was 'an Americanism and
would never come here'. Over the past 30 years gay has definitely been
used to refer to sexuality. In recent times I think there has been a
change to this. I have recently heard young people (God I sound old!)
use the term gay in various contexts. This morning I was in atute group
for Uni. We were in groups doing presentations. The tutor was trying to
organise an order for us to present. One girl said her group didn't
want to go first because 'theirs was a bit gay'. I assumed she was
referring to the content of their presentation, although could not link
the two. I was speaking to someone at work this afternoon who said gay
was often used to refer to 'weak' or 'diluted'. That made more sense in
terms of the context in which it was used this morning. Part of me
feels that I should be offended, as it could be taken as a derogatory
remark. However I had no sense that this girl was using it with a
derogatory intent. I just wonder if gay is one of those words that is
ever changing and who knows what it will mean in 40 years? Am I being
naive or am I being realistic? I'd love some views of those younger in
years than myself, which is probably a good proportion of my
readership, but comments for those as mature as myself, or more so,
would also be welcome!

10 comments:

Superchilled said...

I can't see 'gay' losing its meaning in terms of homosexual identity for a long time yet - firstly there aren't a lot of words out there that people are very happy to use routinely - some people like queer, some detest it, perhaps a time will come when being attracted to the same sex won't mean so much and is more accepted and then the need for identification will be diluted, or weakened... bringing it in line with your younger uni student's current definition...

FletcherBeaver said...

I think it sounds like an evolution of homophobia - having never heard it used in that context, I must add. We will continue to be the weak and the diluted amongst the "real" people.

Tales of the City said...

Kids in the UK use the word to mean "rubbish".. just like "that is pants". Isn't there are term to describe words that evolve?
BTW what were you doing at Uni? You lecture?

Dan said...

It shits me to the point of distraction when I hear young loud-mouthed kids saying "that's so gay".

And I'm 23 lol.

Fletcher is right, it shows Society's (undoubtedly subconcious) homophobia. The problem with subconcious homophobia is that no one in a position to curb it realises there is a problem.

Campbell said...

It seems that most would say it is still a reflection of homophobia, even if it is said without thinking and in ignorance.
Cutectguy - "just is pants"? It must be a UK thing, or just unknown to this ignorant Aussie. Unfortunately I'm on the student side of the podium again. Having a mid life career change (cheaper and easier (or so I thought) than a mid life crisis), deciding, after much thought and even some anguish, to do nursing, hence I'm back doing undergrad studies, which is a mixture of fun and frustration, part of the frustration being brought about by not being able to afford to study fulltime, so needing to do it parttime.
The whole process is an education in itself!!

Volacious said...

As Dan said, I think it's now mainly a subscioucious homophobia, but terms like "that's so gay" shits me to tears too.

Single Guy said...

Interesting post...I too have a friend that uses that expression..."that's so gay.." as "this is so lame." I wonder if it should bother me...

nash said...

Jay from If I Bite You Hard Enough has blogged about the use of the g word in these circumstances. He's also been known to correct people if they use it in his presence and I say good for him. It may not be used to denounce gay men, but it still is wrong as it subconsciously breeds homophobia. At least that's the way I see it. There once was a time when I'd let people off the hook for using it in front of me - not any more...

I have no idea where it came from, but I first heard it used by a guy I worked with about 14 years ago. (And guess what? He turned out to be gay.)

It's hard to think of another example of a word that has been misappropriated like this. Any suggestions anyone?

See Campbell, I told you my response was worthy of a whole post!

Tales of the City said...

Mr C.. its always good to learn and expand one's horizons... otherwise life becomes mundane. You are a brave man.

Unknown said...

As Nash stated above Jay from If I bite you hard enough wrote about this back in October last year. At the time when he wrote about this subject I had the same feelings as you. I didnt have a problem with it and just saw it as kids being kids.

Recently though it has started to rub me the wrong way, quite simply I'm begining to hate it and I dont think it will be to long before I do what Jay did last year. A good mates girlfriend is a teacher and she uses this saying quite often, i guess she's picked it up from her students. Having heard her say it many times and knowing what context it is used in i know it's use as nothing more than a put down.