Tuesday 17 April 2007

Loss & Grief


I've come to realise and appreciate how much of a community we form in the blogosphere. Despite not having 'met' any other bloggers, I do feel like I belong to a supportive and interactive group. I know I have felt supported and appreciated advice given at appropriate times. I have also often felt moved as bloggers relay some of their story that has brought them to where they are today, being open about their feelings on their life. Much of it has come from the heart and much of it supported by erudite, graceful and descriptive writing. There are certainly some sleeping literary giants out there, perhaps in the throes of waking. So I must admit to feeling some loss when I suddenly no longer have access to a blog that I have been used to visiting. I suddenly feel cut off. There are two blogs on my link list that I can now no longer access. I say this not as a judgement of them, I have no idea why they are no longer accessible (I'm making an assumption it's not a 'computer thingy' because of the message I get), I just hope things are OK for them.
I just feel a loss - and where there's loss, there's grief.

12 comments:

nash said...

I've been thinking about this sense of support and community lately too and wondering how we all coped before becoming bloggers/readers of blogs. I was also wondering what's happened to OGP - I tried to find him yesterday and was surprised he's shut down his blog, though I assumed some people can still access it...

Muzbot said...

This has happened to me recently too. The blog author had her reasons for removing her blog (partly because of a crazy stalker type and partly because of family commitments). But I was sad when I couldn't get my daily fix of her very intelligent and humorous writings. But I've found other blogs that are slowly filling that gap. :)

Monty said...

Yes, what's happened to Penguins? I've got to talk to those two boys! I'm also wondering what's happened to OGP and Tequilla Mockingbird (which is one of the most hilarious blogs I've ever read). TM is still there, but no posts for over a month! Wondering what's happened to him! *sigh*

Superchilled said...

The web is increasingly tangled, and it is quite amazing the connections that we can make in the blog world. I now read blogs before the news... Never would have thought that. But it's like a window on all different parts of the world, first hand,unedited, and more profound. It also makes me more keen to improve my own blog and share a part of my world.

Single Guy said...

Yes..it is very true what you say about blogging as a community. I've been lucky to have made some some offline blog mates and met some of the talented writers in both Sydney and Melbourne! Keep writing....and maybe we'll meet at the next bloggers meet up!

Campbell said...

Yes, it was OGP and the Penguins I was thinking of specifically. I just hope they're OK.
If you find out anything about the Penguins Monty, let us know - thanks

Monty said...

I've actually got to meet up with Rick for coffee sometime soon, so I'll find out and let you know Campbell.

Campbell said...

Thanks Monty, I look forward to it.

Unknown said...

Your sense of community is real and through this community I've met a lot of great guys. In fact I've met all my gay friends through blogging.

That sense of community is the reason why I organise the Bloggers Meets, some have been successful, others not so.

Now back to the reason why I wanted to comment. Since I slapped him (nicely) the other week I'll do my best to find out what happend to OGP. I hope his boss has chained him up to his desk!

Campbell said...

Thanks DUP. I just want to make sure OGP is OK!

Unknown said...

i've made contact with OGP and he's fine. In fact he sounded pretty happy with things. I didnt really go into why he's closed down his blog, but maybe i can get him to start it again. who knows!

Campbell said...

Thanks for that DUP - glad things are going well for him. Good luck with getting him to start blogging again. Tell him we miss him!