Monday 16 April 2007

Do Gay People Have Older Mothers?


Chatting over coffee the other day with two friends, a gay guy and a girl whose brother is gay, it came out (pardon the pun) that our mothers were all 40 when we, the gay guys, were born. Now a straw poll of three hardly makes for good research for a thesis, so tell me guys, who out there, in gay blogosphere had older mothers?
Of course, if there is some correlation (and I don't think we need to find a reason for being gay) and women are putting off mothering til later in life, then, it stands to reason, there will be an increase in the gay population in years to come! Hmmm, will the time come that we're not a minority?

8 comments:

Monty said...

Well, both my brother and I are gay and our mother was 26 & 29 respectively when we were born. So that theory doesn't work in our case!

Muzbot said...

My mother was in her 20's too. Although, it wasn't until her late 40's that she knew I was gay... does that count?

nash said...

Mine was 23 when I popped out... gee, Campbell, it sounded good in theory!

Volacious said...

I can support your theory here, Campbell :-) My mother was in her late 30's when she had me, 9 years after my only other sibling.

I don't know if it's true, but it could make a lot of sense!

Campbell said...

Well I'm glad I didn't submit an abstract for my PhD based on my initial research over coffee....but Volacious, you've got me wondering, I too am the youngest after a 5 year gap. I remember reading somewhere that a study showed a number of gay men being the youngest.
How does that fit in the blogosphere?

Anonymous said...

I think the research shows that if you have an older brother you raise your chances (always small however) of being gay. I suppose it would follow that more gay babies would have older brothers and therefore that more gay babies would have older mothers.

Campbell said...

That does make sense Fred.

Dan said...

My mum was 26 when she had me. And i'm the oldest. But then I don't have a brother so I probably wouldn't be considered if this were a "real" research thingo lol

Dan