Thursday 12 April 2007

Cyberdating Update


Thanks for all your tips guys. I'm now a gaydar registree and have spent (too many) hours on the site. I've had one coffee (and a follow up meet planned), another coffee planned and a few back and forth messaging with others. So far it's been a positive experience. I'm going to have to be careful and organised so I remember whom I've said what to and what I've organised with whom! I also want to keep this in perspective and continue my life as normal. I don't know that I could keep up with Monty when he was in his slutty phase - but who knows!
I've learnt to read the profiles more carefully. When I met the guy I had coffee with, I was surprised that he was as tall as he was (about 6ft2). I realised that I hadn't taken note of his height, but assumed he was my height (5ft10) or slightly shorter, from his photo - even though it was only a head and shoulders shot. As we all know, photos posted on such a site don't tell the whole story! Mind you, neither do (supposed) facts! Anyway this surprising height was not a problem, it just highlighted the need (or not, if I do want to be surprised) to read the profile more carefully.
I am currently having some messaging ping-pong with a guy who doesn't have a photo posted. He initiated the contact and so far it's been fun and playful banter. He comes across as witty, funny and warm. I don't know if we'll end up meeting, but if we do I guess I should ask for a photo.
I often wonder what people's expectations are when they don't post a photo.
Anyway, thanks again for all your advice and support. I'll keep you updated.

9 comments:

Monty said...

I have found that if they don't have a pic, they have something to hide...wife, obesity, the fact that they're gay - y'know, the usual stuff! Definitely ask for a pic before agreeing to meet this guy.

Ahh, I can see I am getting a reputation...hmmm, not such a good thing when it's for being a dating slut! LOL

But, GD is fun, if you treat it with a healthy degree of scepticism! There are some genuine people on it, there are some freaks, and there is everything in between. Good luck Mr! Hey, email me your profile! ;-)

Monty the slut! x

Volacious said...

I agree with Monty.. there are definitely some genuine people on Gaydar, but it takes an acquired sixth sense to sort out the crap from the credible.

Best of luck with it all!

Gus

Single Guy said...

wow..you sound like a regular. Do not become gaydar addicted. There is more to life than profiles. I think having low or no expectations is a good way to go...you'll never be disappointed. Happy hunting!

nash said...

So where's the link to your profile, mister?!

Campbell said...

Thanks guys. I am trying to keep all this in perspective. Yes Volacious, my sixth sense is working overtime - time will tell how intuitive it is!
For some reason I have a need to maintain some anonymity, so sorry Nash, the link will just have to wait.

Evol Kween said...

Best of luck Campbell! My partner and I met on Gaydar...that was five years ago now and we're still together.

Although, as Not So Single Guy points out, I've had friends become addicted to Gaydar, so be careful!

Evol Kween said...

Good luck Campbell! I met my partner on Gaydar...that was five years ago now and we're still together.

However, as Not So Single Guy points out, I've had friends become addicted to Gaydar, so be careful! It's good to meet people in old fashioned ways too!

Evol Kween said...

Good Luck! I met my partner on Gaydar...that was five years ago now and we're still together.

nash said...

Oh you know how I feel about links - I can wait!