Thursday 26 April 2007

The Biggest Loser





Now I admit to being into popular culture as much as the next guy. The latest for me has been The Biggest Loser (Australian version).
Now there have been many frustrating issues about the series and a lot of bitchiness and back stabbing going on, but I find the whole weight loss issue fascinating. There are a handful of guys who lost more than I weigh!!! Damian lost 74kgs!! It was interesting to see all the before and afters. Seeing the changes in the contestants tonight when they came out after, for some of them, many weeks since we have seen them, was amazing. They had lost a lot of weight in their faces and that made many of them look older. Quite a few of them looked very different around the eyes (something I take note of in all people!). In any other people I would wonder if they had had 'work done' around them, but I guess losing so much weight changes the whole structure of the face, and in particular, the eyes.
I hope they all keep the weight off. I just wonder if they will be able to maintain this loss. For all of them weight loss has been the focus of their lives for so long. That can't continue, so hopefully they will be able to integrate it into their 'normal' lives.
Good luck to them all.

3 comments:

nash said...

My friend n fellow blogger Sheila from My Arms Fold Back loves this show. Apparently that's why I haven't heard from her for such a long time. I haven't seen any of it, though if it was the celebrity version with Rowena Wallace in a pink bikini I'd be watching.

Personally, if I lost 74kg I'd be negative body weight. Hmmm, why can't they sign me up for the Biggest Gainer?

The other day I thought I saw one of the guys from the previous series (the guy who does an ad for a fast food outlet), but I can't even remember any of the other contestants... think I'll stick to Prison Break!

Monty said...

I was going to watch the finale last night but met up with Muzbot for a drink after work and didn't leave the pub until 11.30pm! ha ha! But I've been hooked on this show - it's probably the only "reality" show that has a positive outcome! I was so hoping Marty would win...he just seems like a lovely guy! (has a hairy chest too which is always a bonus) LOL

Campbell said...

Nash I've often thought a show called 'The Biggest Gainer' would have a market. The two of us could be the first to sign up. It would have to be muscle that we would gain however, not fat, so I reckon it would be hard work.
Monty you had the better night, As with a lot of the show, the 2 1/4 hours of the finale probably only had an hour of new footage. It was good to see the difference in the contestants and to see who won, but you'll be able to see that in Woman's Day next time you're waiting in the supermarket queue.