Thursday 29 March 2007

What Sports Do You Like?


Last night we had my son's end of season cricket break up. I'm not sure where it all came from, but my son is sports mad. This is totally different from me (and his mother). Despite my lack of interest in most things sporting, I have been able to involve myself well in his sporting activities. He plays tennis and cricket competitively. I find his tennis easier to engage with than his cricket. I have always had a problem with cricket. Part of it was that my family was so very into cricket when I was growing up and I wasn't, so it has always been a point of difference for me (to add to the list!). but I also find the game so 'straight'. I find it such a conformist game, with little opportunity for individual expression. Part of it is that being a non-contact sport, there is little expression of aggression, unlike the various footy codes, so there is a sense of having to behave in an acceptable manner (on the field at least!). I find it hard to explain what I mean by 'straight'. Anyway, all this means that I find it hard to engage socially within a cricket team setting, so I'm glad it was over quickly last night. Home in time for Prisonbreak!
Also, because of what they wear, cricket doesn't show off as much eye candy as other sports!

6 comments:

skander said...

Never been much for cricket here, either. It's just too damn slow. It's a game for statisticians. Then again, what sport isn't?

Muzbot said...

I'm not a fan of playing cricket. I actually find it very boring. But, I can easily watch it on TV. In fact, this last summer I really enjoyed setting myself up in front of the teev with a few beers. I did all this by myself as none of the guys I know like cricket either. Ah well, winter is here and I can forget about it until the end of the year.

Monty said...

I've never been a cricket fan...way too slow. However one of my friends persuaded me to attend one day of a test - I took a book with me to manage the boring bits, but I actually ended up having a great time! and there were two streakers (both who were definitely eye candy) which certainly enlivened the day for me! LOL But thank goodness, it's footy season now! Yay!!!

Unknown said...

I've found that most gay guys dont play sport, which is disapointing. I play tennis twice a week and try to get in a round of golf when i can. I also joined a running group a few months ago plus I've done a couple of Triathlons.

I guess you could call me a big lesbian! :-)

Single Guy said...

You have a son! wow...cool. I never understand cricket. But I definately want to know more about parenting...that's a biggie on my life plans.

Campbell said...

NSSG: I did become a parent the old fashioned way - that maybe something you're not willing to do!