Monday 19 March 2007

The Joys of Heterosexual Youth


I’ve mentioned before that I’m doing some study at present. I work in the health care sector as a counsellor, but am having a mid life career change and doing nursing studies. This has to be done as an undergraduate, so I’m one of a minority (a very small minority!!), with the majority being school leavers.
Last week we were doing history taking interviews for patients. We had to pair up to practise. I was paired up with a guy who did VCE last year, so he was about 18. He was from Hong Kong and had been in Australia for a couple of years. His English was very good, but he was struggling with some of the medical terminology. We had a sheet that was supposed to guide us with information we needed to obtain. He was looking through it and pointed to something and asked me what that meant. So I explained to him what a pap smear was. ‘You can get cancer there?!?!?!’ was his response! I refrained from pointing out that HE couldn’t get cancer there, but did say that you can get cancer basically anywhere. This led on to a conversation about what and where the prostate is. We also had a discussion about how on earth one could ask a woman how regularly she performed breast self examinations!
The joys of heterosexual youth!

No comments: