Tuesday 6 March 2007

Discipline

Last year I returned to study as part of a mid-life career change. It was a big decision for me and one that I took a while to come to. The problem is I can't afford to study full time, so I'm doing an undergraduate degree part-time - so yes, doing the maths, that six loooong years. Finishing the first year has confirmed that I'm heading for the right goal, I just wish I had a different path to get there (all applications taken from Sugar Daddies!). It's been an interesting experience going back as a mature age student with so many school leavers, also going back to undergraduate study. I have to say that despite what we as students pay, the level of teaching varies dramatically from excellent to 'who did they have to sleep with to get this job!'
Discipline has never been my strong point. Last semester I spent far too much time on the net doing non-study stuff (like blog reading). I didn't do as well as I could have done. I'm determined that this year will be a different experience. I'm going to have to severely curb how much time I spend reading blogs, sticking only to my favourites and not being distracted by others' links. This aint going to be easy!

5 comments:

Single Guy said...

I read too many blogs at work too..I have no discipline when it comes to sticking to the gym!

Monty said...

Hope I'm considered one of the favourites that you'll continue reading! :-)
But good on you for not allowing yourself to get stuck in a rut! Good luck with the discipline (not one of my strong suits either).

Anonymous said...

OMG...the pressure to perform so I stay on your list (lol).

Recently started study myself, and I agree the discipline thing is hard to get in the swing of...

Campbell said...

Don't worry guys - you're all still on the list!

nash said...

A few years ago I returned to study as a mature age student and got a lot out of it. As for self-discipline, that's something I still don't have any of