Monday 14 May 2007

Of All The Gin Joints In All The World.....


Generally speaking Melbourne is big enough for me. Occasionally however, it manifests some traits of a decidedly small country town (read village for northern hemisphere readers). Last night I received a text from FB which went something like:
FB: Hi how’s your day been?
Me: Good, fairly quiet, did some Mother’s Day stuff. You?
FB: Yeah, same. Do you do yoga?
Me; Yes
FB: Where?
Me: (I explain that I do it twice a week in different places but with the same instructor on Mondays and Wednesdays). Is this leading anywhere?
Long break in texting for about half an hour. My curiosity is roused so I send another text
Me: Wondering what the silence denotes.
FB: Sorry – I was speaking to someone who does Mondays class and spoke of Campbell and wondering if it was you.
Now my name (not Campbell!) is not the most uncommon name on the face of the earth, so wasn’t entirely sure it was still the same class so:
Me: So is it the same class? Who was it? Did they say I was cute and handsome and imagine I would be great in bed?
FB: Mr Cute&Curly.
Things are starting to feel a little more weird at this stage.
Me: How do you know him? (I’m not entirely sure that I really want to know this but I ask it anyway) & you didn’t answer my other questions!
Another long gap in texting. It is now getting quite late so I decided to leave it for now and pursue it in the morning. After a while though another text comes through with apologies for a stuffed keypad but basically says
FB: A friend, will explain tomorrow and didn’t speak re your sexiness.

So how does this leave me overnight? So someone I’m interested in getting to know better with a view to whatever might come along knows my FB!! This is very weird. My imagination starts to go off on all sorts of tangents. FB is not a particularly ‘out’ person, so it is interesting that someone he knows is inviting him to a gay men’s yoga class! How do they know each other? Do they have a similar relationship to FB and me? Questions, questions!! I try to focus on the positives: Mr. C&C remembers my name and remembers some of the content of our conversation, such as where I live.

FB actually rang this morning (a very rare occurrence) but I wasn’t able to take the call so he left a message saying Mr C&C was a friend he was speaking to who was trying to convince him to come to yoga with him. FB started asking questions about the class and participants and Mr C&C mentioned a guy he’s been chatting to by my name and he also mentioned where I live. FB said I know someone by that name who lives there, I wonder if it’s the same person – hence the text query. FB says that he won't be going to yoga - but that's not because of me he assures. FB ended the message with enjoy yoga tonight and say Hi to Mr C&C for me. So he’s spoken openly about me – although I don’t know how openly!


Anyway I go to yoga tonight and Mr. C&C pretty quickly comments on the smallness of the world prior to the class. Afterwards we are chatting outside and he mentions
various things that FB had mentioned about me as a way of prolonging the
conversation. I ask if he wants to go and have a drink. He says he's
unable to as he's meeting a friend for dinner, but perhaps next week.
We chat for a bit more, then he says 'Knowing I was going to have to
run off tonight I thought I'd give you my card, (he hands over said
item). Give me a call sometime.'

I'm taking this all as a good sign - we might talk in more depth about FB later, but at the moment it's all good, if not a little weird!

11 comments:

Tales of the City said...

NOOOOOOOOOO - dont talk about FB. Like all baggage, FB should be left at the front door at the start of any new relationship (friendship or otherwise).. otherwise FB becomes the defining component (when he should only be the catalyst).... the flip side is if you dont discuss it.. then he is the elephant in the room. Anyway seems like an amusing time ahead. Enjoy!

Campbell said...

hhhmmm....baggage or elephant?
Interesting choice!

Evol Kween said...

Talk about what ever you want with him and enjoy it! Go Campbell!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this adventure is proceeding well!!! God luck, and ring him soon!!

The FB weird is Ok, just adds to the adventure

Tales of the City said...

Personally I love elephants.. especially the Indian Variety.. like temple ones.. docile and cute (captive though... not ethical).

nash said...

Yep, it sounds good to me. He came prepared and gave you his card and now you're one step closer to going out for that drink. What a very small world. I just wonder how well FB and Mr C&C know each other?

Unknown said...

It sounds to me like FB put in a few good words about you. The new potential sounds very keen!

I'm staying tuned!

Monty said...

As I've recently discovered, there is 2 degrees of separation in the gay world!!! As you and I have realized too Campbell. Trust me, nothing to worry about! The fact that he was prepared with his card is a SENSATIONAL thing! MrC&C might soon become MrsCampbell!!! ha ha ha! xxx Keep us updated!

Single Guy said...

That's the gay world for you....2 degrees like Monty says. Everyone knows everyone and everyone shags everyone!

Campbell said...

Well we've done a bit of texting since Monday, but not spoken directly yet.
NSSG, we need a bigger community.... and not so we have more choices in shagging!!

Superchilled said...

This is quite an adventure! And I hope you have a good sms plan. If you'd had a direct conversation there would be much less suspense. And we all love a good thriller... I too will stay tuned for more!