Tuesday 8 May 2007

The World as Home


I had a drink last night with a woman who has
recently emigrated to Australia from the UK. She is a friend of a
friend who asked if I would contact her as she's feeling a little
lonely in Melbourne. I do have to admit, this was a change from my
recentGaydar dates!! Anyway, this woman came out to Australia knowing
less than a handful of people. She has spent the last 8 years in the UK
and a year in Switzerland. She was born and bred in South Africa. It's
fascinating the way some people are able to just pick up and move their
lives half way around the world. I imagine it's a big enough adjustment
if you're doing it to follow a partner or a job, but to make such a
move with no such motivation, no such promise of anything in
particular, is a leap of faith.
I admire her and others who make
such moves. I often think I would like to live elsewhere, just for the
experience of it. I mean live somewhere else with no plans of it
necessarily being temporary. I couldn't do that while my son is still
dependant and I don't think I could do that while my parents are still
alive. They're not dependant on me at all, but they are getting to that
age where anything could happen and my only other sibling is on the
other side of the country. Maybe I use these reasons as excuses and
when the time comes that I don't have those sort of commitments I may
not actually act on this fantasy. I guess time will tell.
Briefly
back to last night. If I hadn't organised drinks with Miss South Africa
via UK via Switzerland, I may well have had a drink with Mr Cute&Curly from yoga. We stood chatting very comfortably
outside for quite a while. He asked me if I was on my way home, so I
can only imagine what may have happened had I not had a previous
engagement. Methinks I will have nothing planned for after yoga next
week!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good man.

And it sounds like your flirting is firing from all canons!!

Good luck with yoga boy :D

Tales of the City said...

I think its always amazing to meet people who travel, who live in another place and take a bit of that culture with them.. everyone has an interesting story to tell. The other half has moved countries and its amazing how people can do it right into old age. I know a lady who has lived in 4 countries in the last 10 years... and she is only in her mid 40s.. she is full of life and keen to see the world. That is an amazing gift! Yes sounds like Yoga could be fun.. perhaps I should take up Yoga...?

Monty said...

Mr C&C sounds great!!! Very good to see that you've been able to branch out from just dating GD guys...I know it's worked BIG TIME for me!!! he he he!

Campbell said...

Monty...you're teasing us with crumbs....when do we get a substantial plateful of info!!!

Cutectguy...it's funny, but I'd only just thought of my own mother who in her 80 years has lived in 7 different countries (and had actually done so by her mid 40s), perhaps it is in my blood...and yes yoga is fun, you should join me and we could 'pose' together!

Thanks Paul! Hope the recovery from nightshift is not too arduous!

Monty said...

Hmmm, plateful will come eventually, but just not quite yet. Don't want to jinx it by writing about it publicly!

nash said...

Coming to Sydney was a leap of faith for me. It was relatively easy at the time because I had a couple of good friends here and few commitment in Melbourne and besides, it's not like going to the other side of the world. I've contemplated moving overseas, but I'm too settled for that now. Wouldn't mind a nice, long trip though...

As for Mr C&C I won't be able to bear it if he doesn't turn up to yoga next week! Please keep us posted

Tales of the City said...

I am not sure I am that supple.. too much running and attack classes..my hamstrings are tight... Would need a massage first to relax muscles.

Campbell said...

That could be arranged - I've been complimented on my massage giving!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...Are you offering massages to all askers Campbell????

Campbell said...

Well I do enjoy giving them Paul!!

Monty said...

I jumping into the queue for any free massages!!!

Tales of the City said...

Hey Guys.. play nicely. I am asked first.. do you have strong firm hands, Campbell? I like firm pressure... such a shame you are a million miles away.. otherwise I would be suggesting a bloggers hook up.

Campbell said...

Fear not boys, I have strong hands that can attend to many a shoulder, middle and lower back and.....wherever is needed.
Yes cutectguy, I do have strong firm hands...thumbs in particular can attend to all your knots. Nothing better than a good trigger point massage. Having said that, I can also be gentle when required.

Tales of the City said...

Sigh. Might book myself a massage in the gym this evening after this exchange...

Monty said...

CCTG - massaging...I'll be over there in October!!! ;-)