Wednesday 16 May 2007

I've been tagged!


So here we go....

1. I started off as a cancerous growth. My mother was told she had a tumour and needed a hysterectomy. Fortunately for me, and hopefully some others in the world, she listened to her body (which I gather was not a particularly easy body to listen to) and suggested to the doctor that she might be pregnant. The result - me!

2. I've spent a night in a brothel. I was about 4 years of age and was with my family. Apparently we were in Frankfurt and booked into an hotel that my father could see from where we were driving, but kept coming up against one way streets. He was getting so frustrated that when he came across a building that had a plaque with the Union Jack on it, he thought that should be suitable. Went inside to ask if they had a room for the night. When he got the affirmative he came out and got the family. I think reception were more than a little surprised when he walked back in with a wife and two small boys. Apparently it was clean but basic. Mum didn't sleep a wink, and not because of all the door banging and other nocturnal noises that could be heard. We left soon after daybreak.

3. As a child I loved vegemite and apricot jam sandwiches - yep, together in the one sandwich!

4. I'm a guy who doesn't really have favourites. I guess I don't like to be hemmed in, but one of the films that is up there for me is "Dead Poets' Society". I cried both times I saw it, especially the second time when I was on my own in my own living room. I like it even though it has Robin Williams in it. I think I have been eternally scarred by 'Mork & Mindy'.

5. When I left school I began a Business degree which I didn't complete. If I had my time over again I would do Arts and major in history. Don't know that it would have got me anywhere, but I would have enjoyed it.

6. One day I want to go back to the village in China where my mother was born and my grandmother is buried. It was pre-communisim so may not exist anymore.

7. In my late 20s I had viral meningitis and was hospitalised for a few days. Staff kept telling me it was as painful as bacterial meningitis, just didn't have the potential to be fatal. It certainly wasn't fun!

8. I think I'm becoming addicted to yoga - and not because of the class mates!!


I feel like this is one of those emails you get that tells you if you don't pass this on to 20 people within 24 hours some horror will befall you. Well I'm going to risk it and not tag others - but it was fun to do, thanks Nash.

8 comments:

nash said...

Campbell this is wonderful. It's a treat to read all this stuff about you.

There's a potential short film (or more) in the brothel experience. It almost sounds biblical. If I ever write it I'll be sure to credit you...

You can keep your apricot jam and vegemite sandwiches - I prefer to keep these spreads separate (though I have a friend who also eats vegemite n jam together)

"Dead Poets' Society" is a film I love too (and I understand the Robin Williams thing). You know it's directed by an Aussie - Peter Weir

And you just might inspire me to return to yoga

btw, there's no bad luck for not tagging someone else and I'm glad you had fun writing it. 'Twas fun to read

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Congratulations on completing your “tag” post! And kudos to you for not passing the plague bestowed upon us by Nash on to 8 unsuspecting innocent bystanders!

Hmm, what’s vegemite? I assume mixing it with apricot jam is a bit unusual? It’s ironic that you wish you’d gotten a degree in Arts and History. I have a BA in English literature and have often wished I’d majored in Business instead; not because I’d have liked it, but because it might have given me more opportunity to acquire higher paying jobs. Even with a degree in English, the first question I was always asked when I applied for a job was “how fast do you type?” I’ve always wanted to visit China; I think it’d be fascinating to walk along the Great Wall and visit the ancient shrines. And enjoying authentic Asian food would be an added bonus!

This is a delightful post! I hope you don’t mind that I’ve added a link to your blog site on mine.

Crikey!

Tales of the City said...

Campbell.. that brothel story is just dying to be included in a novel somewhere. Glad you did this - made me laugh..and smile. Have a great evening over there.

Campbell said...

Thanks all, glad it wasn't too boring!
Looking forward to the brothel novel/movie!

Miss Litzi, vegemite is a concentrated yeast extract spread, not unlike marmite or promite if that means anything to you - so a mix of sweet and savoury when put with jam. I feel honoured that you've added a link on your blog. I too have done the same.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Thanks for the information on Vegemite. I did a Google search and discovered it’s one of several yeast extract spreads and a loved symbol of the Australian nation; the equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an American. “It is said that Australians are known to travel all over the world with at least one small jar of Vegemite in their luggage for fear that they’ll not be able to find it”; is this really true?

Sheila told me that Root Beer is not sold in Australia and she’d never tasted it. This got me to wondering what types of foods you have that Americans have never sampled. Finally I found something….

Campbell said...

Is Root Beer like Ginger Beer Miss L.?

Anonymous said...

Great post Campbell!!!

...and thanks for not forwarding it on. I hate pyramid shit... :D

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
No, root beer isn’t ginger beer. According to Nash (who’s had root beer in the US), it’s similar to what you call sarsaparilla. Do you “near beer” in Australia? It’s a very low alcohol beer that’s popular with teenagers and people on the wagon.