Monday 22 September 2008

A Mixed Bag


I have just come in from a most frustrating shift at the Nursing Home. I was working with a woman whose communication skills were poorly lacking. She constantly replaced a sentence with a word and expected that to suffice. At other times she would keep repeating the same thing to me despite my acknowledgment of what she was saying. At one point I even had to raise my voice to her over a resident as she appeared not to have heard my response to her repetitive statement! Very unprofessional of me, I know.
There is also so much cliqueness and bitching that goes on amongst staff. I find myself becoming increasingly adept at ignoring people!
It is the residents however, that so often make it for me (cliche though that may be!). A resident told me tonight that I do very well.............for my age!
Thanks 90 year old Daisy!

4 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Perhaps you should let your mind drift off to someplace more pleasant when you’re working at the Nursing Home, while still providing exceptional care for your patients. Hopefully the elderly woman whose communication skills were impaired also had less than perfect hearing and was clueless that you’d raised your voice when addressing her! Frustration has got to play a major role in your job…

Recently I’ve noticed that there’s a great deal of cliquishness everywhere. It’s particularly pervasive in the Blogosphere. The grumbling and bitching is human nature!

Anonymous said...

Letting my mind drift off is a good idea Miss L.
I do need to make it clear that it was another staff member whose communication skills were lacking last night and it was to her that I raised my voice in the presence of a resident.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Oh…that’s a totally different scenario that what I’d initially envisioned. Maybe the staff member should work on her communication skills so you won’t be required to raise your voice in the future. And the bitchy remark makes sense in this context.

You’re doing a good job…for a youngin!

Anonymous said...

Sounds so like my workplace Campbell, leave the staff at home and me with the residents anyday..:)