Wednesday 17 September 2008

Recovered Documents


Amidst my feeling of disequilibration, I had a mini IT crisis at work. Of course it wasn’t really a crisis and at any other time it wouldn’t have felt so, but it is times like these when the proverbial mole hill appears mountain-like.

I had been working on a number of documents using a USB stick and a laptop at another site than my office. I did the silly thing of creating it on the USB stick with the plan of copying it in onto the laptop, rather than the other way around. Before I got to copy it three of the four documents somehow corrupted and I couldn’t access them anymore.
When I got back to the office I asked the IT person there if she could help. She had a quick look but said it was beyond her, so suggested I send them to the IT department at our head office, which I did. That was last Friday. When I got back into the office on Tuesday I had an email from him saying, in essence, sorry but there’s nothing we can do.
I could have done them again, but that would have meant another half a day wasted. I was feeling immobilised by the situation. Last night however, I was round at my man’s, who is something of an IT whiz – AND HE RECOVERED MY DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another reason to love him!

2 comments:

Volacious said...

Frankly, I think it's more a case that the IT dept just don't care!

Everyone needs a techy bf. Who else is going to show you how the DVD player works?

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Your Knight in Shining Armor to the rescue! I’m glad your man was able to recover the documents and save you needless more hours of work. The situation doesn’t sound like you were making a mountain out of a mole hill to me; it was justifiable to panic! A happy ending to what could have been a nightmare.