Wednesday 17 September 2008

More fractured ribs


Last night when I got home from work, I had the phone call I had been expecting, although I didn’t realise how much I was expecting it until it came.

There was a message from Dad on the machine saying that Mum had had a fall and was in hospital. It was nothing major, but she had broken five ribs and bruised her shoulder. This in itself wouldn’t have required her hospitalisation, but she also had some blood in her lung, so they wanted to monitor her for infection and blood clots.

I saw her tonight and she looked quite good. She wasn’t distressed or confused. She was annoyed that she has had her share of falls outside on hard concrete which bruised and battered her, but it took a fall inside on wall to wall carpet to fracture her ribs!

She seems to be handling the pain well – and don’t I know about that pain having fractured my own ribs in the past
….well, one rib…….
......................................well maybe it was only bruised, but could well have been fractured!

6 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
What a shame about your Mum! Five broken ribs and a bruised shoulder is quite major for a woman in her eighties (for anyone actually, as you found out 2 ½ months ago). Does your mother have osteoporosis? My mom broke her hip and wrist falling on the kitchen floor last year, so obviously it’s not where they fall so much as how they tumble. How long will your Mum be in the hospital? Will she be moved to a hospice to recuperate or be allowed to go home? Is your Dad capable of taking on nursemaid duty? Your Mum is probably on meds to help her handle the pain...I hope her spirits and attitude continue to stay positive, because that goes a long way in the healing process.

Hang in there, Campbell! Take care of your Mother, but don't neglect yourself or your son.

Volacious said...

Ouch! I haven't had fractured ribs before, but I hear they can be quite painful :(

Hope she gets better soon!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
How’s your Mum? Is she out of the hospital? How are you and your Dad holding up with the additional stress and worry?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Miss L. After a couple of minor hiccups early on, Mum is doing well now. She's up and about and apparently coping quite well with the pain. Still in hospital - probably until early next week.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
I’m glad to hear your Mum is doing well now. Coping quite well with the pain and a little help from the meds? My Mom had fistfuls of painkillers after her accident…and she wasn’t willing to share any of them!

Take care…

Unknown said...

I hope your Mum is feeling better again soon. Sounds like she's had a run of hard luck.