Friday 26 October 2007

A Pain In The Neck


Over the last couple of days I have developed a pain in my neck, radiating from my right shoulder. It is too much time at the computer studying and perusing the big wide world on the web. Actually it's not enough time studying and too much time perusing! This morning it was quite bad, so much so that I resorted to some medication. While I was out and about today I dropped in on a Chinese massage place in a shopping centre. These places seem to be becoming quite popular here in Melbourne, where you can pop in unannounced and have everything from a five minute neck massage to a full body massage. I asked for a twenty minute neck and shoulder massage. It was pure and utter HELL. It was AGONY. It almost got to the point where I had to ask him to stop. I did come out feeling less tight, but the pain was still present in my neck. I might have to have more concentrated therapy. I have moved my computer mouse to my left which I do from time to time. They say that is good for the brain as well as the body.
I finish study for the year in a few days time. I also need to spend less time perusing. 

9 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Ouch! I’m sorry to hear you neck is giving you problems. Do you think it could be Carpotunnel Syndrome that’s moved up from your right shoulder? Perhaps some of the pain is stress related. With the end of the school year just a few days away; your job; your son; and trying to have a “life” for yourself in between all of your other obligations, perhaps it’s taking a toll on you physically. Are you ambidextrous? I couldn’t switch my computer mouse to the left and accomplish anything. I’ve no doubt it’s good for the brain as well as the body, IF you can manage it. Does it become automatic after a while?

Have you considered acupuncture? Several of my friends swear by it, though to me it seems one step removed from Voodooism. Other friends have recommended a chiropractor.

Less time perusing the internet and a bit more time trying to relax might be just what “the doctor ordered”. I hope you find some relief very soon for your achy neck and shoulder.

T said...

yes I use an osteopath who does massage, acupuncture and manipulation [clickety click]. The combination fixed up my frozen RHS mouse side !!

Also take regular breaks from the desk and do a few simple muscle exercises as you walk around !

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Has the pain in your neck improved any? I hope you’re feeling better…

Tales of the City said...

I am weary of those chinese places. CH had one and passed out in pain!
I once had a dreadful pain in the neck/shoulder and the acupunture dude fixed it with a few stabs!

Campbell said...

hhhmmm....acupuncture seems the way to go.

It is a lot better now thanks. I'll see how it goes with better computer use and some exercise, but if it gets worse I might consider acupuncture.......as long as it doesn't hurt.....I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to physical pain....but nothing could be worse than that last massage!

Anonymous said...

'a wuss with pain'? funny, that is not how I pictured you....lol

altraeis said...

Less time perusing and more time relaxing and getting some quality Campbell time...Hugs

nash said...

Haven't you finished your studies yet?

T said...

Update please, mate... is the pain better yet ??