Friday 16 November 2007

Bugs, Bugs, Bugs


Today reached the low 30's (celsius) here in Melbourne. That's pretty high for mid November. Tonight at son's tennis it was a balmy evening. With daylight saving we didn't have to put the lights on until soon after 8.00pm. Once they were on however, it was like an invitation to a bug party. They came in their thousands. All sorts of bugs, from little mosquito types to larger cockroach types. They were hovering under the lights and also all over the courts. The kids had to ensure they kept their mouths closed while they played. It was like being in a Hitchcock movie.
Tonight was the last of the home and away matches. We're in the finals which start next week. One of the more difficult aspects of being team manager is that I have to decided who plays in the finals. We need three girls and three boys to play. I have four boys and five girls to choose from. Therefore three kids are going to miss out. They are all pretty even in ability, so there aren't obvious kids to leave out. I'm too soft to find it easy to tell kids they aren't playing in the finals! I don't know how I'm going to decide, and then tell them! I've got less than a week to do the deed! I hate this part of the job!
Thanks to those who have been enquiring about my shoulder/neck pain. Much better now. The semester is over which is great. Last Monday was my first day of no Uni or other responsibilities. I had a lovely day. I could get used to part time work and no study. Although the bank balance may object!

8 comments:

nash said...

Yeah, that would bug me too!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Your high 80°’s to low 90°’s in mid-November would certainly be welcome around here now, as would the long daylight hours. It’s cold, dreary and dark by 5:00 p.m. The bugs that were flitting around your son’s tennis game do sound rather “Hitchcockian”; smile and you teeth could resemble the grille on a car. Good luck having to tell three of the kids they’re “fired”; it won’t be an easy task. I hope no one cries or chews you a new one.

It’s good to hear your shoulder/neck pain is better; perhaps having less stress has helped. Enjoy the extra time you have on your hands!

nash said...

Hitcockroachian?

Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Okay, I invented a word. Perhaps Hitch-cock-ian-esque would have been more appropriate? Very much in the style of Alfred Hitchcock;eerie.

Monty said...

Worst decision will be to include your son or not to include him...there's always going to be accusations of bias! I don't envy you Mr!

I was actually about to write to you to see if all was OK as it's been a while between posts! and Lo and Behold, you've done a post! :-) How's things going mr?

nash said...

Your word's fine Miss Litzi, I just added the "roach" bit, but I see I left out an "H" (should've been HitcHcockroachian) and bad spelling bugs me too!

Hello Campbell!

Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
What I don’t understand is why there’s such a plethora of misspelling on the internet when “spell-check” is so readily available.

G’day Campbell. How’s your neck/shoulder feeling?

Campbell said...

Hhhmmm....this could be the beginning of a whole range of new words in common parlance.

Things are going very well thanks Monty. It's good to have you back on our shores.

Neck and shoulder are feeling good thanks Miss L.