Wednesday 4 July 2007

Heathcote and Part


Late yesterday afternoon I decided I would go and see the Australian Ballet's New Romantics. It was the last show and also the good looking (almost too perfect teeth notwithstanding) Stephen Heathcote's final performance, as, at the grand old age of 43, he is retiring as principal artist with the Australian Ballet. What I know of Stephen, which is only through the media, he's a really nice and down to earth guy. So at 4.30pm I nip into the box office, as the show is entirely sold out, to see if they have any spare or returned tickets. I'm told that they can now sell me (given the lateness of the hour) seats in a box that are normally reserved for wheelchair patrons. They ended up being very good seats, as long as one doesn't suffer from vertigo. There was no-one in a wheelchair in the box, just another woman who bought her ticket at 5.30pm and a man whose babysitter had fallen through at the very last minute, so his wife and 4 year old were sitting in their original seats and he got the not-so-short straw. The woman who was sitting next to me is the mother of a student at the Australian Ballet School and so was giving me a lot of insight into both the school and the company. Anyway, Stephen was given a wonderful ovation at the end of the show.
Another reason I wanted to see this production was that part of it was set to one of my favourite pieces of music, Spiegel Im Spiegel, by Arvo Part. I was first introduced to this piece in a post-coital moment by a lover who preferred listening to music over smoking a cigarette. It translates as Mirror in the Mirror and is a beautifully meditative piece. I normally go very inward when I listen to it, so it was a challenge to watch two people dance to it on stage, but they did so with exquisite grace.
It was a lovely night.

9 comments:

Monty said...

Oh, you're cultured as well...another fine quality to add to your list! You're a catch and a half Mr! :-)

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
It sounds like you’re off to a wonderful beginning of your two week Holiday…attending a performance of “New Romantics”. “Spiegel Im Spiegel” is haunting, mysterious and quite lovely. You were fortunate to sit next to someone who was able to provide you with insight into both the Australian Ballet School and the Company.

Do you think Stephen Heathcote might have had some dental work to attain that “perfect” smile he’s showing? Maybe he uses a lot of Crest toothpaste…

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece of music.
Would be even more so in the post coital drifting mind...

Tales of the City said...

Such teeth... Of to see Handel on Friday...Il Trionfo del Tempo... Never been.

Guy In London said...

Wow, post coital music - I dream of such encunters.

GIL

x

Campbell said...

Ahh Monty, I also like Ugly Betty, so not sure how cultured that makes me!

Yes Miss L., methinks Stephen has had some dental work, together with the ongoing Colgate (I think this is our equivalent of your Crest).

Paul, this music does suit the post coital mind doesn't it?

Cuteguy, enjoy Handel.

GIL - It'll happen for you and it will be a beautiful experience.

nash said...

Sounds like someone's been having fun! Campbell, I would love to go to the Ballet - and what a memorable performance you attended. Enjoy your break...

Tales of the City said...

Hmm not quite post-coital more a wake up music.. CH, plays the piano(very well).. always nice to be woken up by Beethoven or something light.. so nice that last sunday it lulled me back to sleep!!

Monty said...

GIL - maybe when I meet you in London, we can see if it's any good as post-coital music??? *wink*
Boys, if/when you do experience it post-coitally, please report back on its efficacy! ;-)