Tuesday 17 July 2007

Back to Routine


Today was my first day back at work, my first afternoon to be more accurate. My timetable from hell requires that I work two half days in lieu of one full day. It is actually a pleasant way to return to work. I decided that I wouldn't do any REAL work, just spend the afternoon going through my emails and in tray as well as catching up on the office gossip. Nothing much has changed, everyone is still quite stressed. We are going through accreditation in October so everyone is focussed on dotting all our i's and crossing all the t's by then!
This season, by default (ie no-one else would do it!) I am the team coordinator for son's tennis team. This season he is playing on Friday nights. I have spent the last couple of nights making phone calls to introduce myself to players and try to work out a roster. I can't say this is a role I take on with great enthusiasm. It will place me outside my comfort zone as I attempt to coordinate people in a setting that I'm not particularly comfortable in. It's not a bad thing to be challenged in such a way. I'm not someone to eagerly takes on such challenges. I think that's partly because of my innate laziness. Who knows, I may even come to enjoy it. Hopefully it won't turn me into a Demir Dokic!

6 comments:

nash said...

Greetings Campbell,
Starting back at work on a Tuesday sounds very civilised to me. As for being outside your comfort zone (with the tennis stuff), you don't need me to tell you there are bound to be benefits (and probably a few blog posts too).

Campbell said...

Hey Nash, how's life in Melbourne going. You're obviously settled enough to have internet connection. Hope things are settling well for you.

Monty said...

Yes, benefits like other tennis dads (NOT the Demir Dokic you had to deal with last time I hope) in, errr, similar circumstances as yourself...*wink* he hehe!

nash said...

Hi Campbell,
It's good to be back in Melbourne even if I haven't left the house much since arriving (still readjusting) and although I have access to the net, my own computer is in storage for the moment. I'll be happy to have it back soon. And then some serious blogging on my part might happen...

Does the tennis bring you out east?

Muzbot said...

It's always good to step outside your comfort zone every now and then... I do it occasionally, but try not to make a habit out of it.

Tales of the City said...

As Monty says.. It could be amusing for all sorts of reasons. Besides you will be doing all the parents a favour.. and you can ask for payment in kind ;-)