Wednesday 27 June 2007

Long macchiato or Shiraz?


I just want to stay here! It's wet and miserable outside, I don't want to go back to work. I want to order a long macc and linger over it, the paper and a muffin. I don't want to go back to the office where a reasonable proportion of staff are off sick, meaning things need to be picked up by others, especially around a team training that's happening later this morning and much of that will fall on me. I'm currently missing a meeting (which ain't all bad!) because I had to attend to a crisis, which involved being abused by two separate individuals over the phone. Everyone's feeling overloaded and I'm sick of listening to their complaints of how bad their lot is. I just want to stay here and drink coffee, catch up on the news, increase my sugar levels and watch the world go by without engaging with it for a while.

All this was going through my mind this morning while I stood in the bakery. Seeing I had missed most of the meeting I thought it worthless going in for the rest of it, so I offered to go and pick up the birthday cake (because despite the crazy morning, we know what is important at work and celebrating birthdays with cake is one of them) as half the admin staff were off sick.
After the training, which was laborious, mainly due to nitpicking people who can't seem to appreciate the bigger picture (and I know I've described myself as anal in the past - but I am anal about the important things in life, unlike most other people in the universe!) I had moved on from needing to spend time in a cafe sipping coffee to going to the pub that has a fire and opening a bottle of Shiraz!

I think I need a break, which I am fortunately having next week. The above is really an average day at work and normally I can handle it without this sort of effect on me. Only two more days to go!
Thanks for listening to me complain about how bad my lot is. It's not really and I'll get through the next couple of days then have a change in routine for the next couple of weeks. Haven't got anything much planned, but it's school holidays here so my son and I will hang out together. Looking forward to not having to do anything in particular or be anywhere particular. It'll be good just to hang.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a shitty way to wind down towards holidays...

I hope you find some things to do while hanging out for 2 weeks. I have realised that the weeks seem shorter if I do nothing but blob for all of my holidays...and longer the busier and more removed from normal routine they are

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
It sounds like you’ve developed a serious case of “burnout” and the best cure for it is exactly what you’re planning to do; take a couple of weeks off to rejuvenate your body and spirit. Besides spending quality time with your son, perhaps you’ll be able to catch up on your reading as well as hang out at your local pub in front of the fire sipping Shiraz. The Tea Room is decanting Tokay, so feel free to drop in if you’re in the neighborhood. It’s summer here, so you could meander through the garden and commune with nature.

You’ll probably discover that after two weeks away from “The Job” you attitude towards the nitpickers will have improved vastly and you’ll be able to deal with a crisis that may arise like you have in the past. Enjoy your Holiday!

Monty said...

I soooooo know how you are feeling Campbell...thankfully, my mate Muzbot had last night off and so we caught up for several beers, dinner and a really good chat! Nothing quite like it really! You're sooo lucky to have holidays with Jnr Campbell to look forward to! Enjoy immensely! :-)

Richard said...

Campbell - it's great to read your posts... totally feel for you today, as I've had a hell of a lot of them days myself. :-) Enjoy the holiday away...

Muzbot said...

That fire and bottle of Shiraz sounds like a great option... Can I have a Merlot instead?

Campbell said...

Thanks all, had a much better day today. I even got the closest I could expect to an apology from one of yesterday's abusers.

I would love to meander through your garden Miss L. then end with a Tokay.

Welcome Rick, good to have you here.

Muzbot, you can have whatever you like. Anything is welcome around the fire.

altraeis said...

I too can more then relate, though thankfully I have just started my holidays and plan to not think about work at all if i can help it.

Enjoy your time off and make sure you take plenty of time for yourself.

Hugs....

T said...

school hols seem to go on forever when you are a kid - but are frantic for working Dads!

Enjoy the time with your son, mate.