Monday 23 July 2007

Flirting with Stranger


I've found myself having a couple of flirting incidents in the past few days. The first was with a guy behind the counter at a newsagent I went into that I don't normally frequent. He was serving another customer that he obviously knew and so it was going to be a long conversation. So I gave him my money for the paper. We didn't say anything to each other, but it was the look and smile, both when I handed over the money and again as I walked out the door.
Today it was with a guy on the other side of a crowded lecture theatre. It was in a class that has students from a number of faculties, so I certainly don't know everyone. He first came to my attention because he was an older male (ie. over 30!), a rare species in the undergraduate world. We did the smiling a few times during the lecture. He then disappeared afterwards in the crush.
I have a sense of fun in flirting, but there is also a sense of danger (too strong a word but part of me is a drama queen!). What is their intent? Do they have intent? What is my intent? Do I want to do more than flirt with them? Why can't I just accept it as contemporaneous fun? Why can't I turn my brain off?
Methinks I think too much!

7 comments:

T said...

Nothing like a flirt to make the heart go flutter :)

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
“Methinks I think too much”…if your brain wasn’t constantly churning about all sorts of things, you wouldn’t be creating marvelous posts like this current one!

I find flirting quite charming and a bit “old world”. A wink or a “special” smile is so much nicer than the boorish come-ons that one encounters frequently in today’s society. Flirting is almost like the foreplay to foreplay, don’t you think? Flirt away and enjoy yourself…you’ll be old soon enough. Enjoy your youth and the spontaneity that it allows you. What’s the “danger” is a harmless “come hither” look or glance at another guy? You can always change your appearance to a glower and deflect the situation almost immediately if you have a change of heart. Live life to its fullest!

How are you holding up with your hectic work/school/tennis team coordinator schedule? Quite frankly, I don’t know how you manage to find the time to flirt with anyone….

Monty said...

Flirt your head off Campbell...it's heaps of fun and is great for the ego! You do think too much...but that's why you're such a great guy (and therapist). Love your work!

Muzbot said...

I say flirt away. But be careful that the attention you give and get is wanted. Remember it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Anonymous said...

The is meaningless (or meaningful) fun in flirting. The 'what if' thinking is part of the game.

Go with the flow, be naughty, and have fun ...would be my advice. I am crap at it, but love the smirky potential when it works...

Tales of the City said...

Flirt away.. you never know where it gets you. Nothing ventured nothing gained...
I love flirting.. yes it has got me into trouble before with unwanted attention but it can be harmless and a way of appreciating other.. doh that sounds way too superficial.

Single Guy said...

There's no harm in flirting!