Monday 16 July 2007

Angels


I got a flyer in the letter box today about a course entitled The Angel Awareness Programme. This programme is 'designed to unite and inspire Light Workers from around the world'. It's not really my thing, so I won't be doing anything with it, except placing it in the recycling, but it got me thinking about Angels. We all have angels in our life I believe. Some are angels who are constantly with us in our lives, those we can call on in times of need. There are other angels who pop into our lives, either momentarily or for a very short period of time when we need them.
A particular angel of the latter type came into my memory. It was when I was about 13 or 14 years of age. I was going to school one morning. I had got off at Richmond station (to give those Melburnites a visual) and this man started stalking me. From memory, I think he might have pushed me, but then started following me. I remember hiding amid the cars in a second hand car dealership right outside the station. Remember this was around 8.00am on a main street in busy inner city Melbourne. We started playing hide and seek amongst the cars. This woman, probably only in her twenties, then walked past on the street. Something made me decide to walk behind her. The man then followed me. We had walked a few hundred meters up Swan Street when the woman twigged as to what was happening. She stopped walking, turned around and asked me if this man was bothering me. I almost burst into tears as I nodded my affirmative (even getting a tad emotional now as I remember that moment). She then told him to nick off and 'pick on someone his own size', which he promptly did. I don't remember how she and I parted or what was said between us after he left. I should have reported him to the school, but I didn't.
I still have such a strong visual in my mind of that morning almost thirty years ago. I have a feeling that angel will remain in my memory for the rest of my life and I will be eternally grateful to that unknown woman.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! What an awful memory to have following you down the years.

Why do you think it is still so strong for you? Is it the sense of vulnerability? Do you still feel vulnerable?

Campbell said...

No Paul, I don't feel vulnerable. I think it is just one of the events of my life that make up my story. It is the woman/angel that I remember most strongly, so in many ways I see it as a positive memory.
It is also a reminder to me to be aware of what is happening around me, not only for myself but for others too, in case I can be of assistance.
I hadn't really thought of the memory in terms of still feeling vulnerable. You've got me thinking as you always do Paul!

T said...

gee whiz - what a horrible experience : so fortunate the guardian angel arrived when she did !

Why do some men behave in such a creepy manner ??

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
What a wonderful post about angels. Here’s a link to a “YouTube” video that I hope you enjoy!
Angel On My Shoulder

Tales of the City said...

Thank god she did the decent thing. It takes courage to get involved.... lots of respect to the unknown lady. Sadly most people dont get involved ....

Campbell said...

Tom - I guess that's one of the big questions of life.
Thanks Miss L., it is a lovely song.
Cutectguy, I guess that experience did much to teach me to look out for the vulnerable.

altraeis said...

Wow Campbell, to be honest I was near in tears when I got to the end of this post. For two reasons I guess.

One because of the vulnerability of a young kid and the joy of a perfect stranger standing up for someone they didn't even know, simply because it was the right thing to do.

What a women, what an angel indeed. I think it is a strong memory for you because again of two reasons.

One to remind you that no matter what age you are, you can still be that vulnerable and let others make you feel that way and to also remind you in times like that that even if there is no one else around at the time, all you need do is remember that angel and that will give you the strength to stand up and say 'go away'

Thank you to that angel wherever you are.