Monday 4 June 2007

Living On After Death


I was at my parents over the weekend. They had asked me to bring any photos I had of my aunt as a friend of hers realised he didn't have any of her and they said they would send him some. My aunt died nearly 20 years ago now. She was what is euphemistically known as a 'maiden aunt'. I've always thought that non-partnered aunts and uncles with no kids of their own are a bit like younger grandparents. They lavish more attention on you than the parents of your cousins, cause they've got the time, but are younger than grandparents, so often have more energy for you and are closer to your the understandings of your own age group (this is generalising greatly of course!). I always regret that I didn't get to become more of a friend to my aunt in that adult to adult way. I always wonder what it would have been like to have come out to her. I have a feeling she is a family member I could talk to more about it.
I have a few items of hers which are special to me. She began my collection of busts (of the musical masters variety) as I inherited hers. What I use quite regularly, which is special because it was hers, is her dictionary. Words and music were important to her. Whenever I look up her dictionary, I sort of feel that she is assisting my expression of life. This is one way that she lives on.
I sometimes wonder how I will live on after I'm dead.

7 comments:

Tales of the City said...

Partly through your son, through your plants and all the people that you love and lavish attention on... you'll be remembered in little ways and thats how you will live on. Quite a moving post and beautifully written. Gulp.

Superchilled said...

Take the best qualities of the people around you as a part of yourself, and they will live on through you... share these with others, and you will live on through them...

Great post. Reminds me of my grandmother who was really like a mum to me.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Your relationship with your Aunt sounds similar to the one I had with my Godmother when I was growing up. She was “unattached” and I became a surrogate daughter to her. She introduced me to a myriad of things outside the scope of what my parents and school attempted to indoctrinate into me, all the while encouraging me to express myself without fear of repercussion or rejection. She died about 25-years ago but so much of her is still with me today.

I don’t think anyone is privy to how they’ll be remembered when they’re gone but we should strive to be decent, honorable human beings while we’re on the face of the earth. Perhaps it’s the everyday, minute interactions with others that’ll be the final “judge” of our lives.

This is a wonderful, thought provoking post…..pass me a tissue, will you please.

Campbell said...

Thanks all. It's funny how an entry can progress. I didn't really have the intention of this sort of focus when I started it. Even a short piece of writing does evolve!

nash said...

Maybe this blog will still be going long after you've gone! Who knows what can happen down the track?

It's great that you have something that once belonged to your Aunt that you make good use of. I'm sure she's pleased too

Anonymous said...

WOW Campbell..I hope you are not dead...seems ages since we heard all the dark secrets of you life!

Campbell said...

Fear not Paul, blood still courses through my veins.