Tuesday 12 June 2007

Hello Young Lovers


My son’s tennis team is in the Grand Final of his tennis competition next Saturday, having won the semi final the Saturday before last. Last Saturday was a break being a long weekend here in Melbourne. The team coordinator, who is the Demir Dokic of the northern suburbs of Melbourne, felt the team should get together for a hit on Saturday anyway, so they don’t lose their groove. Now there is a girl in the team, lets call her B, whom all the boys like. She is quite aware of this and plays the field rather successfully. (We are talking 13 and 14 year olds). Now on Saturday B was focusing her attention on my son. After the hit in the morning we went for lunch and then to the movies for some team bonding. We went to see Shrek 3. The six kids who are in the team all got seats in the same row and the two parents (me being one of them, Demir Dokic the other) and Demir’s younger daughter got seats a couple of rows behind. As I woke up about three quarters of the way through the film (it just so happened that I saw it the previous night with much more pleasurable company and also I was tired due to said previous night) I sat up and noticed that B’s head was on son’s shoulder and son’s head was inclined on hers.
I have to say it gave my heart a little flutter – my little baby’s growing up! Also to know that he’s experiencing those feelings of the heart gave me a warm feeling. It got me wondering, do those feelings really change as one gets older? Sure we mature (hopefully), but do those raw emotions of the heart, in whatever form we might experience them, really ever change? I’m not sure that they do – and ‘ain’t that a grand thing.

14 comments:

Tales of the City said...

They never change if the person does not become jaded. Here's to staying young at heart.

Litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Campbell said...

Well I am a romantic at heart Miss Litzi, so for the moment, I'll remain there.
I'll let you know how the tennis goes.

altraeis said...

This time i will ahve to dusagree with the previous post. I believe love is available at any age. It is simply the type of love and how we respond to it that changes as we get older.

If you keep you heart and mind open to all possibilities, then nothing is impossible.

Live to love........love to live

Anonymous said...

a lovely post.

Feelings to enjoy and risk without needing to rationalise or reduce them ...

just a thought, your son is on the cusp of a great adventure...

(trust you didn't snore in the cinema)

T said...

oh those teenage years are going to be loooooooong.

How to get our kids to grasp love, lust, respect, boundaries, acceptance, rejection, when we are still trying to work that out!

Best of Luck xxx

Monty said...

That's sweet! But what is more interesting is the DETAILS of the previous night!!! Wahooo...movies and you were tired...hmmm, I'm sure I can read something between those lines! *wink* Maybe Jnr is a chip off the old block!

Tales of the City said...

Yep what was Daddy doing.. or who was daddy doing the previous night?

Anonymous said...

good point monty/cutectguy... come on campbell, 'fess up...

are you playing kooky somewhere??

Campbell said...

OK guys, I'm having a great time with a great man. Will it become more? Dunno - hope so - lets wait and see!

Guy In London said...

I agree with CuteGuy's first comment - it only changes if you've become jaded - you can still feel like it's the first time in you 30s.

GIL

Campbell said...

Even in your 40s GIL!!!!
How are things going?

Brechi said...

That was really cute.

Panther said...

Hi Campbell,

I have just added you blog to Pinkboard's Blog List. For more details please see Pinkboard or email me.