Saturday 24 February 2007

Stranger Than Fiction


I saw the movie 'Stranger than Fiction' today. I went knowing nothing about it, except that Will Ferrell was in it. I didn't know Emma Thompson was in it - that was a pleasant surprise as I am a fan of hers.
This is a very different film. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it, but then it got me hooked, although it did take a while for this to happen. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might go and see it, so I won't talk about the story line. But it's a film that speaks of the importance of living life as though you know you don't have much of it to live, of the significance of the apparently ordinary things of life, of the urgency of doing what is important and right for you in life, of whether or not we have any control over our lives.
Just before the end I was in tears, but when it did end I started laughing. I'm not entirely sure why, perhaps partly out of relief, perhaps partly because there was a simplicity in the movie, despite it's complexity and different genre.
So I would recommend it, although you might have to give it some time.
Anyone else out there seen it yet? I'd be interested in others' views on it.

3 comments:

Muzbot said...

Don't you just love it when you go and see a film that you know nothing about and you end up enjoying yourself. I've done this with a few films. And some of these have ended up being my faves.

Monty said...

I actually do want to go and see this movie...big fan of Emma Thompson. But I agree with Muz, it's a great thing when you accidentally discover a good movie!

Campbell said...

That's true, like you Muzbot, some my favourite films have been ones that I've gone into blind (so to speak!). Let me know what you think of it Monty when you get to see it.