Sunday 11 February 2007

Carnival

It was Midsumma Carnival here in Melbourne today. I wasn't able to go as I had other things on, but I remember my first time at Carnival. It was amazing to be around so many people who were just being themselves and didn't have to censor how they behaved and related to others. And there was such a diverse group of people - families, drag queens, bears and much, much, eye candy. And the amazing thing was that it wasn't in a pub or nightclub late at night, but outside in broad daylight! Whilst I have many questions about the 'Queer community', being at something like Carnival does make me feel part of a larger group and this is a good feeling. Long may it continue!

1 comment:

Monty said...

That's exactly what I'm hoping to experience at Mardi Gras. I was out on Oxford St on Friday night and even just that felt good (I'm not much into the 'scene') - so a few thousand half naked boys dancing should be fun fun fun! :-)