Saturday 10 February 2007

A Gay Old Workplace

I went out for drinks last night to celebrate a colleague getting a new job. It's a celebration for him and I am very happy for him, but I'll also miss him. J is the only other gay guy in our organisation - actually he's the only other guy (full stop) in our organisation. Yes it's a typical health service that is very female dominated. It's also a typical health service in that there are many gay people. At one stage about a quarter of the staff were gay. We are a reasonably small place - about 25 people - but still 25% is a good percentage. I feel fortunate to be able to work in a place where sexuality is not an issue and doesn't feel like a minority situation (almost). It's good not to feel you have to censor what you say and how you act - especially after so many years of 'being careful'.
In fact I started working there just after I came out - so I think the universe was looking after me by placing me in such an environment when life was all so different for me. There are a few people there who have become close friends and I will maintain contact with them when either they or I, leave. J will be one of those. In some ways he will still be a colleague as he is going to work for another health service that we work closely with, but we'll also stay in touch as friends which is great. Nevertheless, I will miss him at work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog!

Great to find another Melburnian, 40+, healthcare worker! I look forward to reading more...

Many thanks for the link

Cheers, Paul

Campbell said...

Thanks Paul, As I've said before, it was you who inspired my reading of blogs and therefore the beginning of this one. It is good to find someone in a similar situation to yourself. I've certainly enjoyed reading your blog over the past months. So what does work hold for you since you didn't get the job you were acting in for so long? Unfortunately being a health care worker usually means you are also working for a largish institution and all that that brings with it. Hope it's working out well for you.
Campbell

Anonymous said...

Hey Campbell, at the moment I have moved back to clinical nursing, but have kept a hand in some of the projects I enjoy.

Shiftwork demands are taking a little re-acquainting myself with, but I will get there.
Next week I go to Darwin for a week. In April I am going to China for 4 weeks.

So all up, its a bit of a stepbacl from the career, and a step into a wider life experience. I hope I have the strength for it....jobs can be a safe hole to hide in... :D

Glad to see you blogging. I went to carnivale for about 30 minutes today, ran into friends, and left to go to dinner. I enjoyed this small grab of the gay world. It was enough....

Campbell said...

Hi Paul,
Work can be a good cave to bury yourself in and this can be good when you need it. I reckon the strength required in engaging with life more widely is often in the planning and it sounds like you've done a lot of that already. I look forward to hearing about the travel. Darwin is a great place, although I've not been in the wet season which it will still be in Feb won't it?
Sometimes small grabs of the gay world is enough!!!

Anonymous said...

Darwin was great for relaxation. I will post some more on my blog with pictures (But still reticent to post any of me).

Although it was the wet season, there was only one small storm while I was there.