Sunday 30 March 2008

Visuals


I've been reminded recently how much of a visual person I am. It had been (too) many days since I had seen someone in particular and I was missing him. As I was shutting down my computer, he appeared on my desktop (I have a group of photos from a recent trip away that randomly change on my desktop). I was surprised at the intensity of my response. I also thought myself an idiot for not using photos earlier. Not that photos are a substitute for seeing someone in person, but being the visual person I am they help to connect me with people.
In my new role at work I have been meeting people that I have not met before but have spoken with on the phone for many years. When I speak with someone on the phone I always have a visual of who I am speaking with. If I haven't met them, I need to create that visual. It has been interesting to see how accurate my visuals have been, or not in some cases!
I've always thought that if I were to lose either my sight or my hearing, I would prefer to lose my hearing.

2 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
I’d rather lose my hearing than my eyesight as well. I can’t imagine a meaningful live without being able to read or enjoy the beauty of the world around me. I take great pleasure in listening to music and talking to people but vision is a vital a part of my existence.

Do you have mental visuals of your fellow bloggers? I certainly do and it’d be most interesting to see how accurate they are.

Let’s hope we maintain our eyesight and hearing for the remainders of our lives!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I'm a visual person which is why, unless I'm at work and have to, I rarely use phones...

I conversation I very much need clues and body language (it also makes me good at picking up incongruence between their speech and body language) I learn better by seeing, either instructions or written essay... as opposed to a uni lecture or being told verbally...

Have to agree, if the Gods take back one..it'll have to be hearing...I wouldnt like to loose touch either as I'm very tactile