Saturday 22 March 2008

Perceptions of Violence


I saw Drillbit Taylor yesterday with son. It is definitely one of those male adolescent movies, about a group of nerds who employ a bodyguard to protect them from the school bullies.
I found the violence confronting. It was very graphic for supposed school yard bullying. It probably also linked me in with my school yard experience, which whilst it had very little physical violence, had it’s fair share of stressful moments.
Later in the evening we were watching The Simpsons. The violence in that was no less graphic, yet less confronting.
It’s interesting that violence becomes more acceptable when it’s cartoonised. (hhmmm, I might have created a new word!)

2 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Even “Roadrunner” cartoons are graphically violent, albeit it funny. You have to put it into perspective and realize that it’s a part of modern day life. It disturbs me too, so I try to avoid as much of it as possible.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

The Simpsons actually did a show on violence on TV when Maggie started wacking people...

I smiled at Litzi 'Roadrunner' comment. I'm a Foghorn Leghorn girl myself... :)

I try and teach my work kids to be careful of what they choose to put in their mind be it TV, movies or music. Personally I find the voilence on the news or in papers too confronting now, I realised i was becoming desensitised to others pain, so Ive chosen not to watch TV anymore.

School violence is one of the most insidious and something I based most my assesments on at Uni, that and gay related violence. With schools the highest level of voilence that occured and effected students was verbal surprisingly.

I think adults ie teachers and parents tend to 'breeze' over that