Wednesday 6 February 2008

Cricket, cricket, cricket and cricket!


..hhhhmmmm...... 7 January.....that was a long time ago!
No I haven't disappeared totally, just been on holiday and slowly getting back into routine.

My holiday was a sporting one. Son and I went to the Australian Open one day and watched many hours of it on TV. We also went to Adelaide to the 4th Test against India. I think I have mentioned that I can engage with tennis, however struggle with cricket. Son and I have a project to visit all the cricket grounds in Australia. So far we have been to Melbourne, Sydney, by fluke Darwin when we were there at the same time as an international game a few years ago, and now Adelaide. This year the timetable seems to be different in that the one day game series is starting in February, ie. after the school holidays. This meant that if we were to go to an interstate game, it had to be a test match. This was my first test match. It was four long and hot days! The Adelaide Oval, whilst a lovely one, is sorely lacking in shade for the unreserved areas. Even when the temperature was in the 20's, the sun was still hot, especially after 6 hours! We went through a tub of sunscreen and litres of water. The third day was the worst as it was the hottest and the most crowded. I was definitely over people by then!
I also struggled to find a coffee made the way I like it. Long macchiatos are the coffee of choice for me. After the second one I ordered came out as basically a latte, I decided to stick with the safe long black with milk on the side. After that I was happy.
I'm complaining too much here, for it was a good holiday, and son enjoyed it. Next time, I will try and organise it around a one day game however!

4 comments:

Monty said...

Welcome back! To be honest, I couldn't think of a worse way to spend a holiday (watching cricket), but it's great that you are able to spend it with your son! :-)

Victor said...

Adelaide sure seems hot at times. I visited from Sydney last September and had some long sleeve tops with me based on the weather reports I heard. But it seemed much warmer than the quoted temperatures and I spent my second day shopping in Rundle Mall for lighter more summery gear.

Tex's Missus said...

I am a mad cricket fan and although my son and I have been to the MCG and the SCG on a number of occasions, I've never seen the game at the Adelaide Oval. I am hugely envious !

Campbell said...

Monty, Thanks for the welcome back. Yes, sometimes you make concessions for the sake of the parent/child relationship!

Victor, I always think of Adelaide as hotter than Melbourne - not sure about Sydney.

Hi Tex's Missus - Welcome. Maybe you should also make a point of touring the national grounds. A good excuse for travel.