Thursday 30 October 2008

I'm tired and emotional at the moment....


It's due to a melange of reasons that is making it hard for me to have clarity.

I sat an exam yesterday for the unit that was the most badly administered and appallingly taught I have experienced thus far. The exam reflected this. I will pass, but it won't be my best result. On top of this I couldn't re-enrol on line due to an error in the system. When I pointed this out to the powers that be, it was acknowledged that the system was wrong, but that rather than amending the system, I , along with the others this was going to affect, needed to complete an amendment to enrollment form that I had to collect from the office.

I also didn't want to be at the exam on Wednesday as I would rather have been at a funeral. A friend died suddenly last Friday. He was the husband of a good friend at work. She was working on Friday and got a call from the police informing her of her husband's death. She was out on the road at the time, so a colleague and I went to collect her and drive her home. It was a great shock. The funeral was the same afternoon as my exam and changing it would have required moving a mountain. I was able to drop in to the 'after party' however.

I continue to find my colleagues at the Nursing Home very difficult to work with.

I am finding it a slog to complete the last weeks of the project at my other job. I have realised that project work isn't really my 'thing'. It's good to learn that of myself, but I am finding it a struggle to complete that which I have started. A mixture of laziness and lack of commitment methinks!

That workplace is also tensioned filled at present with various office politics at play. At times like this I find myself being the one unloaded to by various people. My stars this week told me I was good at that!

I'm contemplating a sickie tomorrow. Haven't done that for many years.

Amongst this melange have been some positive items of note.

Son has tennis of Friday night's. Last Friday I met him at the courts and was running a bit late due to D's death. We were hosting so there were things to be done. As I was sweeping the courts he came up to me and asked how work was. This in itself is not unusual, but in that context, where we were both focussed on something else, it was good to know that he has sensitivity to his environment and those within it.

I was feeling particularly flat last night when I got home. I then got a surprise visit from my man. It was a good night. He and son get on really well - even if it is at my expense at times! I like that - the getting on, not the my expense bit!, although I don't really mind that!

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a feelings guy, that I could process more clearly by thought, but that's who I am and it does have some positives.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

many positives I suspect. some of us envy your ability to feel with such strength... it must bring an interestingly different world view sometimes....

Monty said...

It's always a good thing to have a Melange I have found! It's such a great word!!!

And, it's nice to hear that things with your man and you are going so well (and that he gets on with The Child too). You two ever thought of coming to Sydney for a holiday? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Campbell,
YES! YES! YES!

PRESIDENT Barack Obama and VICE PRESIDENT Joe Biden


litzi

Anonymous said...

YP: It's good there are different world views and good to be reminded of this from time to time - not necessarily better, just different.

Monty: You may well see us in your part of the world one day.

Miss L: Glad you're still around. Indeed this is a day to remember and relish, for the world as well as for your nation.

Anonymous said...

Ahh Campbell I hope things have settled for you... god Uni's and admin,what a flippin nightmare (or joke)

We seem to be going through the same cycle at our workplaces.. we have a mess of politics and hidden agendas, as does my g/f with another welfare orgainsation...

For a caring occupation, these places seem to produce the most uncaring people, policys and procedures... Hang in there mate...

Sorry about your friend Campbell, hope his wife is with friends...

Anonymous said...

Hi Campbell,
While the United States is still basking in the afterglow of electing Barack Obama for the next president, California was unable to look past differences to see the person underneath and treat him/her without discrimination. It appears that the proposition to allow same sex marriages is going down in defeat, though not without protest and anger. One giant step forward but still too many backwards…

litzi