Thursday 9 October 2008

Frustration!!


I have a very low threshold at the moment for any incompetence, inefficiency and stupidity that impacts on me. I attended one of the most frustrating lectures I've ever experienced today, and trust me, I've experienced many. As I type this, I think it was probably more the mood I was in that the fact that it was the worst lecture. Nevertheless!!
This lecturer has not attended Powerpoint 101 tutorials and knows nothing about how to use the medium as an educational tool.
We watched a video, but only after nearly 15 minutes of fluffing around trying to get it to work, followed by needing to watch it rewind from the end before starting it again because somehow that's the only way he could get it to start at the beginning! If he wasn't handing back our assignments at the end of the lecture, I would have been out of there like a shot. I guess he does have a degree of cleverness about him!
It is a Mental Health subject and some of the subject matter today covered sexual disorders. There was a scarily confusing discussion about homosexuality and paedophilia, with no clear clarification by the lecturer.
When I finally got my assignment I walked out using some of that language from the previous post!

5 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
LOL! Your frustration level in regards to the lecture on sexual disorders sounds on a par with mine after listening to three presidential debates. What are these people talking about? Perhaps the lecturer was uncomfortable with the topic and was hedging around instead of dealing with it face on….it’s too bad someone who was more at ease couldn’t have led the discussion.

Victor said...

It is worrying how many people seem unable to distinguish between homosexuality and paedophilia and just link the two together.

As for Powerpoint, I lost count of the number of excrutiating false starts I sat through with people who couldn't control their technology. I'm glad I am retired and no longer required to attend such sessions. (well, apart from the occasional information session for we volunteers, that is.)

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
With all the economic upheaval in the world at the present time, it’s quite easy to become frustrated over things that in the past one might have been able to shrug off or ignore. My patience and tolerance level is exceedingly low these days…

Campbell said...

Hi Miss L.,
It certainly is going to be a different road ahead in coming years. They say we in Australia are in a reasonable financial situation compared with the rest of the world, but I guess only time will tell.

Victor,
I've actually emailed the lecturer to express my concern about the linking of the two subjects. It'll be interesting to see what sort of response I get.

Adaptive Radiation said...

From a lecturer's perspective, I think this is absolutely inexcusable. Some people really shouldn't be teaching.