Thursday 20 December 2007

Light the Christmas Tree


Tonight I put up the Christmas Tree. I realised while I was doing it that I haven't put up a tree for the past two years. I felt I should make an effort this year. My parents are coming to my place for lunch on Christmas Day and son will be dropping by in the afternoon. The longest part of putting the tree up was untangling the lights.

This reminded me of putting up our tree when I was a child. Every year we would spend what seemed like hours trying to work out which bulb in the set of lights had blown and therefore preventing all the lights to work. We had a beautiful set of hand painted lights on our tree. One year however, it all got too frustrating and we bought a new modern set that meant we wouldn't have to go through that rigmarole again. I miss those lights (we threw them out!). Simple as the new ones were, they were very boring. And frustrating as it was each year, that was part of the family ritual at Christmas.

Perhaps I'm missing some Christmas ritual.

11 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Good for you to decorate a Christmas tree after not having done so for two years! Untangling and arranging lights on the tree can try one’s patience, but it’s worth the aggravation when they’re all aglow and shimmering. I remember my parents having lights that required all the bulbs to be working for the whole strand to function. It was really a challenge when you had to find the “bad” bulb when the tree was decorated. My Dad was always knocking off an ornament or two in his quest to establish which bulb needed replacing.

The Holidays are all about “rituals” and remembrances of times past. Keep in mind that you’re now establishing memories your son will carry with him throughout his life.

Campbell said...

Thanks for that Miss L., it got me thinking....

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Keeping you on your toes, am I? LOL!

Your son is at a venerable age and is no doubt observing what you do (and don’t do) whenever you’re together. Your Holiday spirit (or lack thereof) may impact him for years…

Are you going to get any time off from work for Christmas??

Muzbot said...

Is that a picture of your Christmas tree? If so, it's outstanding! Makes my little 1ft tinsel tree look rather lame.
Hope you have a great Christmas Campbell.

Campbell said...

Hi Miss L., Just the public holidays. I'll be taking some leave later in January. Sorry for the delay - not a blogger problem this time, it got 'lost' in my emails!

Hi Muz, no, it's not my tree. Mine is bigger than 1ft (not that size is a competition!) but much more humble than this one. I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!! I hope you have a marvelous day with your parents and your son.

nash said...

Merry Christmas Campbell. Hope you have a shining time during the silly season!

Love Nash xx

Single Guy said...

Merry xmas and keep blogging in 2008!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Isn't the 26th of December Boxing Day in Australia? Are you doing anything special to celebrate? If so, have a wonderful time...

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Nash’s birthday celebration is underway at litzi. Please stop by for a visit when you get an opportunity. Everyone is invited to join in the festivities!

Litzi said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Campbell. I hope you ushered in 2008 in style! I'm looking forward to reading more great posts from you in the months to come.