Thursday 6 December 2007

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas.......


Despite the previous post, I’ve been thinking of my response to Christmas. I’ve always had some ambivalence about Christmas. It used to hold more of a religious/spiritual meaning, but that is no longer present for me. This year I seemed to have been able to avoid all the hype leading up to it. Every now and then I am surprised by seeing Christmas decorations around in shops and houses. I’m surprised by my response to it which is quite a strong feeling response. My initial reaction is a positive one, but it’s linked in with memory rather than being based on something current. There’s a realisation now that it is a hollow meaning, it’s only about what it used to be, not what it is now. That tends to flatten the initial positive memory. It’s a feeling of something good that cannot deliver. As you can see my response is still very much in the feeling mode and not at all thought out, hence these ramblings. The time of night I’m typing this might also have something to do with it! So enough ramblings.

The two things I still like about Christmas are carols and the food. Nothing beats Christmas Pudding with Brandy Butter (known to some as Hard Brandy Sauce) whilst watching some Carols By Candlelight.

So what does Christmas mean for you?

8 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
I think the ennui you’re experiencing about Christmas is quite normal. We tend to build up our hopes for a “better” Holiday and every year when it fails to meet our expectations we’re disappointed and disheartened. The decorations, well wishes and gift giving that bombard us from all directions only tend to make us feel more alienated and diminished. I try to exhibit good cheer for the sake of others, but my own emotions are sorely lacking any real joy or true “Christmas Spirit”. Maybe Santa and all the trimmings should be relegated to the young!

I agree with you that the food this time of year is marvelous! Egg Nog, fruitcake and Candy Canes are among my favorites.

Dare I say it? “Happy Holidays”!! I hope you spend some time with your son; he may help you attain some semblance of Christmas….

Unknown said...

At this time of the year,it is not about the religous meaning for me as I am an atheist so I take this time to say Thanks to all the people who are special to me and wish for their continued love and support for another year.Now as for the food part , it sure does look good and it brings back memmories when I was able to eat such delights.I am now on a gluten free diet?so I might loose some weight this 25th of December..lol
whatever your doing on this day enjoy!your son will have a good time I am sure of that.
Hey Mate I enjot reading your posts so dont give up yet even though I dont always comment.
Chers Wally

Muzbot said...

For me, Christmas is all about the chicken and champagne breakfast with the family. Seeing my big sister's orange juice to champagne ratio slowly decrease over the morning is always entertaining.

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Gee, I didn’t know Carol did candlelight. Is that anything like Elvis on Velvet?

If you happen to be out and about and are served a Christmas Pudding, please dab on an extra bit of Brandy Butter for me!

This year Christmas means trying to disregard the past and strive toward a more satisfying existence in the New Year.

Campbell said...

I'll join you Miss L. for the fruitcake, but I'm not so big on Eggnog or Candy canes....and any excuse to add extra Brandy Butter.

Hi Wally, thanks for commenting. I hope you're able to enjoy some of the comestibles of the Christmas season.

Hey Muz, you can't go past Chicken and Champagne breakfasts, especially with the added amusement of seeing family get tipsy!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
You're on!! Do you want to meet in Melbourne where it's warm and sunny or in California where it's cold and dreary? A no-brainer, isn't it?

T said...

yeah I am a bit so-so on Xmas these day s: it all seems to be abouth the expensive gifts rather than a joyous spiritual occasion. Best wishes for it anyway. B

ad luck about the tennis grand final : my daughters is this Saturday !

Keep blogging as Monty says : it is a nice way to keep in touch

xxx Tom

nash said...

Hi Campbell,
Christmas to me is carols getting stuck in my head and a realisation that the past 12 months have flown by and soon I'll be another year older and then it's Happy New Year!