Wednesday 12 December 2007

Cycling


Being inspired by a friend, I've got my old bike out recently and started riding again. I'm covering a different role at work at the moment which means I don't need my car for work, so I've even been riding to work on occasion. The last two weeks I've ridden three out of the five days. It feels good to have the car unused on certain days. I feel like I'm doing something for the environment. I work about 15 minutes from work by car, and I'm finding that it takes me no longer to ride to work. There is either a bike lane on the road, or a bike path between my home and work, so I feel quite safe, despite it being inner city. I'm surprised by the amount of bicycle traffic on the road. Coming home the other night I had to wait to turn right to give way to no less than 10 cyclists on the road I was turning into. What I really like about riding to work is that I am getting exercise by doing something I have to do, rather than exercising for exercise's sake Ideally I feel that what we do in our day to day lives should provide us with enough exercise. I've always thought this has parallels with spirituality - but that's another blog (perhaps).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to the spirituality post...

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Is that a photo of you on your bicycle? It looks a bit tippy. LOL. Good for you to be peddling to work three days a week. Not only is it better for the environment and your overall physical health, but it will probably reduce your monthly gas bill. Short stop and go trips really consume a lot of unnecessary fuel. Are bicycle helmets required in Melbourne?

Are your legs and posterior feeling the pain of taking up riding again? I think biking or walking every day are every bit as beneficial as working out in a gym two or three times a week and probably more enjoyable!

Monty said...

Well done mate! I'd love to be able to ride to work, but the logistics of having to wear a suit every day make it tricky!

But yes, your legs and arse will thank you!!! (and so will, ummm, any gentleman friend/s that you might have) ;-)