Saturday 22 September 2007

The Rose Boys


I was reading a post over on Nash's blog which reminded me of an incident with another nowhere near as famous person as Rick Springfield's mother. A few years ago I read the book 'The Rose Boys'. For those outside Melbourne and even for those non footy minded people in Melbourne, the Rose family is a famous Collingwood football family. Bob Rose and his 4 brothers all played for Collingwood in the 1940s and 50s, and Bob went on to coach Collingwood in the 60s, 70s and 80s. He and his wife, Elsie, had two boys. Robert followed in the family's sporting tradition and became an exceptional footballer and cricketer. Peter followed a different path and became a poet and publisher. Peter is the author of 'The Rose Boys'. To precis the book very simply and without giving it justice, it revolves around Robert's car accident at the age of 22 years, his subsequent quadriplegia and then death at the age of 47 years. It is a story written with great honesty and richness. I read most of it while I was away on holidays, staying with some friends. I came to the last chapter one night and whilst I really wanted to finish it, I had a sense that I would be so affected that I knew I wouldn't be able to go straight to sleep but would need to respond in some active way, if only to walk around the house. Not being in my own home, I didn't feel comfortable doing that, so didn't finish it for a couple of days until I knew I had the safety to respond in whatever way I needed to.
Anyway.....on to the incident.....I lent the book to my friend and work colleague, Louise. Louise was going to a shopping centre one day that she doesn't normally frequent. She took the book as she thought she may have some time to read it over a cup of coffee, which she did. She soon became aware of a woman standing next to her. She looked up at her and the woman said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but that's my son". Louise was a bit taken aback and just responded with "Oh..... Elsie" as if she was an old friend! They only had a short interaction as Elsie was with a group of friends and she returned to them. As Louise was leaving she asked Elsie if she would sign the book, to which Elsie agreed. She opened up the book and said to Louise, "Louise, this has Campbell written inside." "Oh.....yes.....could you write it to Campbell and Louise!?" So I have inscribed in my book, "To Louise and Campbell, Best Wishes, Elsie Rose".
I love this story. I often wonder what it was that made Elsie make herself known to Louise that day. One of the themes in the book is the struggle Elsie had with such sporting fame and the effect it had on her family. What made her identify herself as a Rose that day, when she had longed for anonymity for so many years. And when she said "That is my son" was she referring to Robert or to Peter?
Questions that will never be answered. A bit like life really!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! two posts in one day...must be missing the lad and at a bit of a loose end....:D

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Thank you for explaining who the Rose family of Collingwood is; I’m one of those “non-footy minded people”. Your friend Louise had what Nash would describe as a “coincidence file” event. Who knows what motivates people to do the things they do? Perhaps Elsie had finally achieved the anonymity she’d strived for and was ready to step outside her “private walls” upon occasion. Or she thought that talking to Louise would be more personal (woman to woman) and not evolve into a conversation about football. And how marvelous that Elsie noticed your name inscribed on the frontis page and included you along with Louise.

Was the ending of “Rose Boys” as emotional as you thought it would be or was it anticlimactic?

nash said...

Hi Campbell,
This is great. Miss Litzi's right - it does qualify for the coincidence file. And yes, how was the ending?

Campbell said...

Paul....well, perhaps!

Miss L. and Nash, it was a great coincidence file moment.....and yes, the ending of the book was as moving as I expected it to be. Well worth a read.

Tales of the City said...

Campbell... do you do blogger meets? may be in Melbourne in the begining of Nov.

Campbell said...

Cuteguy: I've only done one individual bloggers meet before, but would be happy to do another one. Let me know when you're in town and we'll arrange something. Do you still have my email?