Monday 17 September 2007

An Extra Day At Home


I've just got in from my placement at 8.30am. No I haven't been doing nightshift. I was up soon after 5am ., out the door at 6am to be ready to start at 7am. Got in to find that our clinical educator is sick. We're not allowed to be on the ward without her being present, so we had to go home. We got to go home early last Friday as she was sick. There has been an outbreak of gastro at the hospital I'm doing the placement at, with many patients and staff affected. I'm not sure if that is what she has. I'm convinced she's in the early stages of pregnancy, so she might just be feeling a bit queasy and not wanting to make things worse by being in a gastro infested environment. On Friday there were two other students who were off sick. Another student went home early because she was hit on by an agency nurse. He convinced her to give him her phone number which she regretted, so after discussion with the clinical educator she went home. So we're all waiting to find out if the clinical educator will be in for the rest of the week, and if not what will happen to our placement and whether or not we will have to make up the time later on.
So I have an unplanned day at home. I don't want to waste it. I felt I wasted yesterday. I was feeling a bit flat and unmotivated. I don't want to get to the end of today and feel I've wasted it. I'll start off by resisting the temptation to go back to bed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well it looks like its going to be a shitty day weather wise so I would go out for lunch somewhere and then go and watch a movie. I can highly recommend The Bourne Ultimatum. It was extreamly good and it does have Matt Damon!

Enjoy your day off!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Ugh…how discouraging to have gotten up and dressed at an early hour to find out your clinical educator was ill. Is it possible for you to phone in tomorrow to see if she’s still sick before you leave home? “I was feeling a bit flat and unmotivated”; do you think you might have a touch of gastro? Unless you’ve got pressing things to accomplish (no, not ironing!) today, why not do something special and fun?

When is your placement supposed to be finished? Is your schedule flexible enough that you’ll be able to fit in “make-up” if it becomes necessary?