Friday 17 August 2007

Growing Up


"Gran thought I was you!" said son with more than a hint of pride in his voice after he answered the phone to his Grandmother the other night. Yep, that voice is broken, and without the shattering squeaks of high and low that often accompany the breaking. I remember my voice broke in the same way. I was older than son (do tend to be a bit behind in these matters!) but it basically went straight from boy soprano to bass without any coloratura intervals to embarrass me.
I also remember feeling quite chuffed when I answered the phone and people would say 'Hello John, how are you?' I would quite happily tell them I would get my Dad for them. They got a very different response from when I used to have to say I would get Mum after being mistaken for her!!
The joys of growing up!

7 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Speaking in a squeaking soprano voice “I’ve often wondered why women’s voices don’t change when they reach puberty”. Maybe it’s all that testosterone in men. I have noticed women’s voices get crotchety (feeble) sounding as they move into their “Golden Years”. Do you find it strange to have your son’s voice the same pitch as yours?

“I hope you have a wonderful weekend” in a voice that resembles Minnie Mouse!

Monty said...

Awwwwww, how sweet! I do detect the slightest hint of fatherly pride in this post! You're a lucky man! :-)

Unknown said...

when I answered the phone and said hello Wally speaking!I would get Hello Molly?back to me...still happens to this day?
I made the mistake of telling my mates when I was a bit drunk long ago.. and now I am known as MOLLY.No I don't wear a hat?..lol

T said...

whoo hoo - your little boy is turning into a man so quickly, Campbell. Enjoy it before the moody teenage years hit !

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....and have you been mistaken for your mum recently? Or do you play the daddy? (lol)

Guy In London said...

Coloratura! I don't think I've ever seen that word on line. Go for it Campbell! On the same subject, my 9 yr old son has had a deep voice for years and my 12 year olds' is only just starting to deepen. But, both of them have the moody years currently in progress, Aaaaagggghhhh,

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
“Guy In London” mentioned he’d never seen the word “coloratura” on line; neither have I. How about “basso profondo”? I wonder if his 9-year old son’s deep voice will evolve into a basso profondo by the time he’s a teenager?