Wednesday 10 December 2008

Flexibility


I worked an extra shift last Saturday. When I got home from work on Saturday night, about 10.30pm, there was a message on the machine from the Admin Coordinator at my other work. She said it was about 4.30pm and if I got this message in the next half hour or so, could I please ring her. My mind did go through the possibilities of why she might be ringing. I ruled out some work related matter, as she would have rung me on my mobile. Along with her partner she also runs a catering/food store, from where I am ordering my turkey for Christmas this year, so I thought it might be something to do with that.
Anyway, I got to work on Tuesday and she explained that they were catering for a function on Saturday night, which included supplying waiting staff. At the last minute they had someone pull out, so they were madly ringing around seeing if someone could fill in. She said, ‘I didn’t know if you had any waiting experience, but I thought you’re the kind of guy who can put his hand to anything, so I thought I’d try you.’
I was chuffed to be thought of as someone who could put his hand to anything!

2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I'm sure you'll be fine but I can't help but relate a few cautionary pointers (from experience):

1. If you have to pop any champagne bottles, remember that it is unprofessional to have to retrieve the fly-away cork from someone sitting at the other end of the room.

2. Watch the serving tray and try to refrain from emptying a jug of coke on unsuspecting guest in expensive suit (especially if the function is a wedding and the victim happens to be the best man).

Good luck

Campbell said...

I didn't end up doing the job AR, but I will take your sage counsel on board should I ever find myself in such a role.