Friday 19 December 2008

Always the Bridesmaid


Tonight son finally played his tennis grand final. This was two weeks late due to washouts twice in the last four weeks - who would've thought after the dry winter and spring we've had! Son left home tonight with four runners up flags from previous seasons. He ended the night with five runners up flags! He just can't seem to make it over the line. They lost quite badly, not helped by a player pulling out an hour before the game with an injury. We managed to get a substitute from a lower grade who hadn't played for a few weeks. They always have a little presentation after the game with the flags being handed out, which is particularly difficult for the losing team. I was proud of son who made a short but gracious and articulate speech as team captain. He sometimes does surprise me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued ny your choice of picture for this story!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Campbell!!! I hope you have a marvelous holiday.

litzi

Muzbot said...

I'm with Y'Paul on this... The picture?
Must be a fantastic feeling to have pride in your son. It's very admirable.

Hope you have a great christmas break.

Campbell said...

YP and Muz, I'm sure I don't need to tell you the pic says more about me than son! Have a great Christmas Day both of you.

Miss L., Thanks for dropping by. I hope you have a great Christmas and New Period. I hope things are going well for you at present.

Anonymous said...

Hi Campbell,
My 85 year old mother took a nasty spill two weeks before Christmas and fractured her right hip. (The same thing occurred in March of 2007 and incurred damage to her left hip.) She was hospitalized for a few days and is currently recuperating in Hospice. She’s returning home Saturday (tomorrow) and will have visiting nurses and an occupational therapist in several times a week until such time as she’s able to maneuver without a walker. It’s past time for her move into a Retirement Center but she’s adamant about living alone in her house.

Needless to say, the recent events have dampened any Holiday spirit I might have possessed…and left me frazzled and exhausted.

Happy New Year! I hope 2009 is a better year for all of us.


litzi