Saturday 21 June 2008

Wearing History


I’m rarely in attire that calls for cufflinks. I do however have one shirt that calls for them. I was wearing it a while ago when I went to the theatre. I was wearing this particular shirt a couple of Christmases ago and I was talking with my parents about how cufflinks would suit it, but I only had one pair of jade cufflinks which wouldn’t have gone with the shirt. Mum told Dad to get out his array of cufflinks. My Dad is not one for putting on a show as far as dress goes. He dresses for comfort rather than looks – a point of contention for Mum and has been for all their married life. His collection of cufflinks is quite small and I don’t think he’s worn a pair for over 40 years. Most of them were typical of the 50s and 60s – large and garish. He did however have two pairs (pictured) that were simple and elegant. They belonged to his father. One pair is silver and the other gold. The gold pair have my grandfather’s initials on them. As you can see, they are two flat pieces of metal joined together by a chain. They are not particularly easy to put on, but once on I like their look. I also like the fact that I am wearing some family history. I’m imagining that my grandfather might have got one of the pairs, perhaps the engraved pair, for his 21st birthday. That would make them over 80 years old.
I like that!

5 comments:

Gone said...

There is something special about acquiring and using items obtained from one’s relatives. New brides that are wearing wedding dresses from their mother’s or grandmother’s wedding, neat old watches and rings, or, in your case, vintage cuff links. I have an Omega watch that I obtained from my deceased father-in-law that is automatic (needs no winding), and I often think of him when I’m wearing it; since he was a watch/clock repair person, it is in wonderful shape, and I wear it constantly.

Do they still manufacture shirts anymore that require cuff links?

Wear your father’s jewelry with pride!

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
As I get older, I find I prefer vintage and antique items over modern (or retro) accoutrements. I’m partial to old glassware, china, silverware, clocks, jewelry, furniture, paintings, postcards, books, etc. Trying to imagine the “story” that each piece could tell is an exciting challenge for one’s imagination.

However, when it comes to computers, televisions, phones, cameras and any electronic or kitchen appliance, I gravitate towards the new….

Victor said...

I haven't worn a business shirt, let alone anything requiring cuff links, since my father died over five years ago.

Monty said...

They're nice cuff links. About half my shirts have French cuffs and so I'm gradually acquiring a larger and larger collection of cuff links. Alas, none of my forebears seem to have been as sartorially minded as I...sigh!

T said...

yes I was given to lovely pairs from my parents and from close family friends for my 21st but they were stolen in 1989 :(