Monday 21 April 2008

A wandering mind


I was soooo not into being at yoga tonight. The instructor on Monday nights talks too much for my liking and tonight I found it VERY annoying. So very early on it was only a physical experience for me, with little thinking about what I was doing. Hence my mind wandered as it is wont to do.

One of the problems I have when sitting in a cross legged position, is maintaining a straight back. It was a bit uncomfortable tonight and I started thinking
... what would an osteopath do for my back. This reminded me of having drinks with a couple of friends a few weeks ago where the osteopath of one friend came into the wine bar and engaged quite a bit (and unprofessionally we all decided) with said friend. This friend has seen him at one of the gay friendly medical practices in Melbourne. This got me to thinking how difficult it would be for a gay doctor working in a gay friendly practice to be active in the gay scene and not frequently come across their patients.

.....How did I get on to this? Oh yes, my sore back....oh well at least it made me forget about it for awhile. Actually I also forgot I was in a yoga class, so I blinked my eyes open to find everyone else doing something totally different from me!

It was one of those nights!

4 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Allowing your mind to wander on to the possible complications of being a gay doctor took your mind off the “f” (does the instructor have a slight lisp?) and your uncomfortable back, though it doesn’t sound like it was a very worthwhile Yoga class for you. Do you do exercises at home to help reduce your stress?

“…how difficult it would be for a gay doctor working in a gay friendly practice to be active in the gay scene and not frequently come across their patients”. This could hold true for any medical professional, especially living in a small city or town. He or she would be quite apt to meet up with their patients from time to time. A doctor or nurse might know that Ms. Jones had an abortion last week and Mr. Smith is being treated for syphilis while carrying on a friendly chat over the zucchini at the local grocery store. So, I don’t think it’s necessarily a gay issue. Maybe the solution is to use out-of-town clinics??

Anonymous said...

Love the blog. Love the background. Plaid is my favorite color.

nash said...

Hi Campbell,
In Sydney I had a doctor who I'd see about n about from time to time...

I wonder if you can recommend any yoga schools south of the Yarra? I've really got to get back into it. I got a yoga mat for christmas and still haven't used it! Now, breathing in...

T said...

Coincidentally I am off to yoga tonight after a 1.5 year gap. I dont greatly like it as it is a lot of chanting and so slow ... but my aging body needs gentle excercise as I found out when I tore my achilles running in December.