Wednesday 9 April 2008

Vicarious Travel


With all the protests lately in support of Tibet, son and I were talking about the country and he asked where Tibet is. He immediately regretted this as my natural response was "Let's get the atlas". He outwardly groans when this happens because I can spend hours pouring over the atlas. It's how I do my travel! My imagination goes wild as I plan intineries for myself, taking note of out of the way places as well as more well known cities.
I could say I am well travelled, which is true. The vast majority of it however, was done before the age of 5 when my family lived overseas. My adult travel has been restricted to the U.K., Italy and Hong Kong.
Despite my love of travel, it always seems to be something I will do 'in the future'. The future has been and gone and is always with us as well as ahead of us. Maybe I need to grasp the 'always with us' definition.

2 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
LOL! The map is marvelous! Your current travel plans sound similar to mine; I’ll go “later” which never seems to arrive. There are SO many places I’d love to visit but there’s always some obstacle in the way that makes me defer my plans yet again…

I’m attempting to live each day as it comes but sometimes it’s nice to dream about faraway places and escaping the humdrum.

Anonymous said...

have to do something about that.....