Sunday 11 May 2008

Awe inspiring bugs





Hi all,
Yes I'm still around. I was thinking that maybe my blogging days are over, when yesterday I had this experience that I wanted to share.

I was outside digging in the communal garden when I caught some movement in the corner of my eye. What I saw was a caterpillar in its cocoon. I then saw that there were another couple close by that were on the move. I initially thought they were caterpillars doing their metamorphosis into butterflies, but thought it was the wrong time of year for that. What I finally realised was that this was the last stage of their cocooning process and they were moving to their final hibernating place. One moved across a 5 metre concrete path to find its resting place. Their cocoons are such intricate abodes, I'd love to know how they create them.

I've recently got a new mobile for work that means I could take these pics and movies of the event.

I was very moved by what I saw, seeing nature at work. These are things we can often miss in our busy lives and its good to be reminded of the workings of nature, especially in the inner city suburbs. I found it an awesome experience, in the true sense of the word.

I actually find it quite awesome that I was able to work out how to catch the experience on the mobile and transfer it to this blog, but awesome in the more popular sense of the word!



2 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
You’re right; it’s fascinating to observe nature at work. The caterpillar’s movements seem laborious and slow; it’s any wonder they go into hibernation after exerting all that energy. Did the cocoon seem extraordinarily large for such a small creature? It appears to be a great deal bigger than the insect inhabiting it.

Thanks for posting this up close and personal adventure!

Monty said...

Thank goodness, I was getting worried you'd given up on blogging! :-)