Monday 2 February 2009

They Don't Make Cool Changes Like They Used To


I was still on leave last week, during Melbourne's hottest week. I would rather have been at work as I would have been more motivated and spent more time in air-conditioning. I did nothing. Even if it hadn't been as hot I probably still would have done nothing, but it would have been by choice rather than necessity. By Friday I was particularly grumpy, as I was woken up at 5.30am by neighbours who were mother and son having a conversation about son's need to be more responsible with his bankcard (I didn't think they still made bankcards!). I couldn't get back to sleep after that.
Since then I've felt flat and lethargic. The weather is better, although still into the 30's. I think the heat has exacerbated my cyclical feeling of flatness that has no particular cycle to it, it just comes and goes. Whilst this can occur frequently, I have a fear that I might remain there and while I'm there I tend to make things bigger in my mind than they are, so there tends to be more negative energy within me than I like.
I'm off to bed - hoping to wake up with more positive energy tomorrow.

6 comments:

litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Your malaise or ennui incurred from the excessive heat last week in Melbourne is to be expected. Having dwelt near the coast for approximately 40-years, I’ve come to realize that I my cylinders function best in moderate temperatures. The occasional heat or cold wave usually disturbs my biorhythm which manifests itself by irritability, lethargy and a myriad of other physical and mental aberrations.

Hopefully when you return to work and the temperatures slacken, you’ll feel like yourself again.

Campbell said...

Hi Miss L., yes I do feel like my biorhythms are disturbed.

Monty said...

PS They don't make Bankcards anymore. The Australian banks that owned Bankcard (the big 4) canned it about 2 yrs ago. :-)

litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
The fires on the outskirts of Melbourne are horrendous, judging from the pictures I’ve seen on the internet.

Last summer there were numerous wildfires in my immediate vicinity, so I’ve got a sense of what you’re experiencing now. Not only is the sky red/black but ash from the fires falls down everywhere and you live in constant fear that the conflagration will “jump the lines” and consume your house and surrounding neighborhood. Very scary indeed.

I hope you and your loved ones are safe.

Campbell said...

Monty: Thanks for that clarification, I thought that was the case.

Miss L: It is a very sombre day in Victoria today. The death toll is up to 35 and looks like rising. Even though the temps are much improved on yesterday, there is still much danger for people living near the fires.
I certainly am safe, as am my loved ones, however I do know of people who live in areas of danger.
Thanks for your thoughts.

litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
Not only is “Down Under” battling numerous wildfires but apparently has been struck with another heat wave. And what effect will all the infernos have on Australia’s dwindling water resources? Do you sometimes wonder if Armageddon is near?

I hope the traveling you’re required to do for your job keeps you out of harms way.