Wednesday 16 July 2008

More of Habit


Today I was talking with a couple of workmates - at work, but not about work! One of them, A, has recently had her relatively new partner move into her house with her so we were talking about how that is going. The other, G, then said to me, "So now we need to set you up with a man". "He's already got one!" says A. G then squealed "oohhh tell me, who, who?" My reflex response was to shhhsh her. I regretted that. It came across that I was wanting to keep it a secret, which isn't true, as many people at work know - I just pick and choose who I talk to about my personal life, as I'm sure we all do to varying degrees.
Again my response was one of habit. Whilst I was disappointed that that was how I reacted, at least I was aware of it pretty quickly, which is the beginning of changing habits that we want to change.

1 comment:

Litzi said...

Hi Campbell,
The adage old habits die hard is very apropos in this instance. You were secretive (protective?) about your lifestyle and learned to keep it separated from other parts of your existence. After a while, it became second nature not to discuss the more intimate aspects of what you’d been up to, etc. Now that you feel less inhibited, you’ll find yourself talking more freely. When I want to avoid certain subjects, I deflect by changing the topic of conversation back onto the other person. Most of the time he/she doesn’t catch the subtle maneuvering that’s transpired…which in itself would be an good topic for a blog!

Your response to talking about your “special gentleman” with your colleagues reminds me of the angst you were experiencing before you introduced him to your ex wife; expectations or the customary manner of how things are conducted don’t always turn out the way we think they will.

The picture of the three Sisters is adorable!